Creating culturally considerate schools : educating without bias
- Kim L. Anderson, Bonnie M. Davis.
- Thousand Oaks, California : Corwin Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiii, 155 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC1099.3 .A54 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 147-153) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Authors Part I. Culturally Considerate Schools 1. Manner & Methods 2. Model of Cultural Consideration and Equity Skill Building 3. Practical Applications of the Model Part II. Model Phases 4. Self-Examination 5. Reflection 6. Integration 7. Actualization 8. Equity & Social Justice Part III. Educating Without Bias 9. Portraits of Culturally Considerate Educators 10. Landscape of a Culturally Considerate School Part IV. Appendices & Tools Worksheets Resources References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412996242 20160610
- Publisher's Summary
- This unique collaboration between a veteran educator and a psychotherapist shows that the educators who are most effective in teaching diverse student populations are the ones who can "see students clearly and respond to their needs without hesitation or bias." Framed around an original, eight-stage model of diversity development, this book provides readers with essential tools for building a sturdy foundation of mutual respect upon which schools without bias can be constructed. Included are specific strategies for creating a school environment that Gives voice and consideration to all students Shows interest, empathy, and respect for all staff members Advocates respect and reverence of individuality Adapts innovative policies-despite resistance-that best serve the total school community In addition to vignettes, anecdotes, and case examples, the authors provide worksheets for problem-solving, conflict resolution, clear communication, rules of engagement, reflection, and scenario study. This book will help educators boost student achievement by giving them how-to strategies that work across content areas to create a culturally considerate classroom and school climate that supports student success and reinforces the strength of individual teachers, administrators, and auxiliary personnel.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412996242 20160610
- Publication date
- 9781412996242 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: