Do we still need peer review? : an argument for change
- Thomas H.P. Gould.
- Lanham : The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 2013.
- Physical description
- xii, 175 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2333 .G58 2013||Unknown|
- Gould, Thomas H. P., 1953-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface Acknowledgements Chapter 1: What Is Peer Review and Why Do We Need It? Chapter 2: Early Peer Review Chapter 3: Peer Review 1600-1950 Chapter 4: Anonymous, Double-Blind Peer Review Chapter 5: The Rise of the Internet, the Supremacy of the Individual Chapter 6: Recent Suggested Solutions Chapter 7: Option One - Eliminate Peer Review (partially and totally) Chapter 8: Can We Review Ourselves? Chapter 9: Private Industry and Academic Associations Solve It All (But Are Tenure Committees Left Holding the Bag?) Chapter 10: The Future of Peer Review: What Have We Lost and What Can We Gain? In Closing.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780810885745 20160615
- Publisher's Summary
- The current peer review process is broken and unless changes are made it will soon die. In Do We Still Need Peer Review?, author Thomas H.P. Gould examines the evolution of peer review from the earliest attempts by the Church to evaluate scholarly works to the creation of academic peer review and finally to the current status of the process. Gould argues that without an immediate effort by scholars to institute reform, the future of peer review may cease to exist. As new technology provides authors with a direct, unsupervised route to publication, the peer review situation is nearing a tipping point, beyond which the nature of academic research will be profoundly altered. This book proposes that rather than tossing out peer review altogether, the process can be saved and made stronger, offering suggestions on how to do just that.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780810885745 20160615
- Publication date
- 9780810885745 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0810885743 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780810885752 (ebk.)
- 0810885751 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: