Death, loss, and grief in literature for youth : a selective annotated bibliography for K-12
- Alice Crosetto, Rajinder Garcha.
- Lanham : The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 2013.
- Physical description
- xx, 245 pages ; 24 cm.
- Literature for youth series ; no. 13.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|Z7204 .D4 C76 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Contents Acknowledgements Foreword Introduction Scope and Arrangement of Material Chapter One Death of a Family Member Mother Father Grandmother Grandfather Sister Brother Other Family Members Multiple Deaths in the Family Chapter Two Death of a Teacher or Classmate Chapter Three Death of a Friend or Neighbor Chapter Four Various Accountings of Death and the Afterlife Chapter Five Death of a Pet Cat Dog Other Chapter Six Animal and Nature Stories Chapter Seven Folktales Chapter Eight Non-fiction Resources Chapter Nine General Reference Resources Chapter Ten Educators/Parents/Professionals Resources Chapter Eleven Media Resources Chapter Twelve Internet Resources Appendix A Book and Media Awards Appendix B Children's Grief Awareness Day Author Index Illustrator/Photographer Index Title Index Series Index Subject Index Book and Media Award Index Grade/Level Index About the Authors.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780810885608 20160610
- Publisher's Summary
- All human beings encounter loss and death, as well as the grief associated with these experiences. It is therefore important for children and adolescents to understand that such events are inevitable and to learn how to accept loss and cope with their emotions. In order to help children through their pain, parents and caregivers need access to the proper resources that will help them discuss these topics, and educational professionals need reliable resources for creating courses of study on these subjects. In Death, Loss, and Grief in Literature for Youth, Alice Crosetto and Rajinder Garcha identify hundreds of resources that will help educators, professionals, parents, siblings, guardians, and students learn about coping with the loss of a loved one and the grief process. These resources include books, Internet sites, and media titles aimed at students and those helping them through the grieving process. Chapters in this volume include fiction and non-fiction titles about the loss of a family member, a friend, and a pet, as well as general reference resources, curricular resources, and websites. Annotations provide complete bibliographical descriptions of the entries, and each entry is identified with the grade levels for which it is best suited. Reviews from recognized publications are also included wherever possible. Anyone interested in locating helpful resources regarding death and grieving will find much of value in this essential tool.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780810885608 20160610
- Publication date
- Literature for youth ; no. 13
- 9780810885608 (cloth)
- 0810885603 (cloth)
- 9780810885615 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: