The handbook of institutional research
- [edited by] Richard D. Howard, Gerald W. McLaughlin, William E. Knight.
- 1st ed.
- San Francisco : Jossey-Bass, c2012.
- Physical description
- xxxii, 727 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Jossey-Bass higher and adult education series.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2326.3 .H36 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Tables, Figures, and Exhibits xi Appendices xvii Preface xix Acknowledgments xxiii About the Editors xxv List of Contributors xxvii The Association for Institutional Research xxxi PART 1: THE HISTORY, THEORY, AND PRACTICE OF INSTITUTIONAL RESEARCH 1 1 The History of Institutional Research 3 Donald J. Reichard 2 The Structure and Functions of Institutional Research Offices 22 J. Fredericks Volkwein, Ying (Jessie) Liu, and James Woodell 3 Practicing Institutional Research 40 Mardy T. Eimers, Jang Wan Ko, and Denise Gardner 4 The Role of Institutional Research in International Universities 57 Ann S. Ferren and Martha C. Merrill 5 Out of the Box and Out of the Office: Institutional Research for Changing Times 73 Richard A. Voorhees and Teri Hinds 6 Institutional Research and Collaborative Organizational Learning 86 Victor M. H. Borden and Adrianna Kezar 7 Developing Institutional Adaptability Using Change Management Processes 107 Kim Bender PART 2: SUPPORTING CAMPUS LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT 131 8 Supporting Institutional Governance 133 James Purcell, Charles Harrington, and Beverly King 9 Supporting the Provost and Academic Vice President 145 James T. Posey and Gita Wijesinghe Pitter 10 Examining Faculty Recruitment, Retention, Promotion, and Retirement 165 Daniel Teodorescu 11 Institutional Planning and Resource Management 183 Michael J. Dooris and Jerome S. Rackoff 12 Building Cost Models 203 John Milam and Paul Brinkman 13 Managing College Enrollments 221 John Cheslock and Rick Kroc 14 Refocusing Student Success: Toward a Comprehensive Model 237 Gary A. Rice and Alene Bycer Russell 15 Academic Space Management and the Role of Institutional Research 256 Catherine Watt 16 Managing Sustainability 268 Josetta S. McLaughlin and Lisa M. Amoroso PART 3: BRIDGING INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL REQUIREMENTS FOR IR 295 17 Challenges in Meeting Demands for Accountability 299 Carol Fuller, Cathy Lebo, and John Muffo 18 Accreditation and the Changing Role of the Institutional Researcher 310 Paula S. Krist, Elizabeth A. Jones, and Kimberly Thompson 19 Regulated Ethics: Institutional Research Compliance with IRBs and FERPA 325 Rachel Dykstra Boon 20 Data, Discrimination, and the Law 340 Andrew L. Luna 21 Federal Higher Education Reporting Databases and Tools 354 Gayle M. Fink and Chad Muntz 22 Collective Responses to a New Era of Accountability in Higher Education 371 Christine M. Keller 23 System- and State-Level Data Collection Issues and Practices 386 Marsha V. Krotseng 24 Developing K--20+ State Databases 404 Maryann S. Ruddock 25 Data Exchange Consortia: Characteristics, Current Examples, and Developing a New Exchange 420 Julie Carpenter-Hubin, Rebecca Carr, and Rosemary Hayes 26 Business Intelligence and Analytics: The IR Vision for Data Administration, Reporting, Data Marts, and Data Warehousing 434 John Milam, John Porter, and John Rome PART 4: INSTITUTIONAL RESEARCH TOOLS AND TECHNIQUES 455 27 Analytic Approaches to Creating Planning and Decision Support Information 459 Gerald McLaughlin, Richard Howard, and Daniel Jones-White 28 Exploring and Mining Data 478 Jing Luan, Thulasi Kumar, Sutee Sujitparapitaya, and Tom Bohannon 29 Measuring Opinion and Behavior 502 Sean Simone, Corbin M. Campbell, and Daniel W. Newhart 30 Institutional Research with Published Instruments 523 Julie Noble and Richard Sawyer 31 Measuring and Evaluating Faculty Workload 550 Heather A. Kelly, Jeffrey A. Seybert, Patrick M. Rossol, and Allison M. Walters 32 Analyzing Equity in Faculty Compensation 573 Robert K. Toutkoushian and Dennis A. Kramer II 33 Effective Reporting 594 Liz Sanders and Joe Filkins 34 Tools for Setting Strategy 611 Jan W. Lyddon, Bruce E. McComb, and J. Patrick Mizak 35 Tools for Executing Strategy 625 Jan W. Lyddon, Bruce E. McComb, and J. Patrick Mizak 36 Developing Institutional Comparisons 644 Glenn W. James 37 Tools for Improving Institutional Effectiveness 656 Jonathan D. Fife and Stephen D. Spangehl 38 Tools for Measuring the Effectiveness of Institutional Research 673 Sharron Ronco, Sandra Archer, and Patricia Ryan Epilogue 689 Name Index 695 Subject Index 707.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780470609538 20160610
- Publisher's Summary
- Institutional research is more relevant today than ever before as growing pressures for improved student learning and increased institutional accountability motivate higher education to improve its ability to use ever-expanding data and information resources. Sponsored by the Association for Institutional Research, The Handbook of Institutional Research offers institutional researchers and all college and university administrators the most current and comprehensive overview of theory and practice in the field. Examining research as well as methodologies, tools, and techniques, the volume covers: * The History, Theory, and Practice of Institutional Research* Institutional Research Support of Institutional Functions* Building and Using External and Internal Data Sources* Institutional Research Tools and Techniques.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780470609538 20160610
- Supplemental links
Table of contents only
- Publication date
- The Jossey-Bass higher and adult education series
- 9780470609538 (hbk.)
- 0470609532 (hbk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: