Maynard L. Parker : modern photography and the American dream
- edited by Jennifer A. Watts.
- New Haven : Yale University Press, 
- Physical description
- 279 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 32 cm.
- Watts, Jennifer A.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Maynard L. Parker : bringing houses home / Jennifer A. Watts
- A star is born : making Hollywood magic / Sam Watters
- Looking both ways : modernizing the past to shape the future / Edward R. Bosley
- Shelter me : the suburban dream in Cold War America / Elaine Tyler May
- Framing modern : Maynard L. Parker, Elizabeth Gordon, and House beautiful's Pace Settter Program / Monica Penick
- Promoting ranch house living : Cliff May and Maynard L. Parker / Daniel Gregory
- The sensible curve : Maynard L. Parker in the American garden, 1948-1956 / Christopher Hawthorne.
As a prolific photographer for House Beautiful, Better Homes and Gardens, Architectural Digest, and Sunset magazine, Maynard L. Parker (1900-1976) was a pioneer in documenting residential spaces and landscapes for postwar America. His extensively published, sun-kissed brand of photography made him a critical contributor to domestic design culture from the 1940s into the 1960s. Parker's lens revealed the homes and lifestyles of affluent Americans and celebrities, including Judy Garland, Clark Gable, and Bing Crosby, as well as the interiors, gardens, and built works of Samuel Marx, Frank Lloyd Wright, Thomas Church, and Cliff May, offering an alluring template for living in a new consumer age. Maynard L. Parker: Modern Photography and the American Dream is the first monograph to consider Parker and his work. Lavishly illustrated essays by leading scholars set Parker's photography against the backdrop of an unprecedented demographic shift, the Cold War, and a suburban society increasingly fixated on consumption.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780300171150 (clothbound : alk. paper)
- 0300171153 (clothbound : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: