Giving our children a fighting chance : poverty, literacy, and the development of information capital
- Neuman, Susan B.
- New York : Teachers College Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- x, 163 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
LC153 .P45 N48 2012
- Unknown LC153 .P45 N48 2012
- Celano, Donna.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 151-155) and index.
- Same city, different paths
- On the streets where they live
- The paradox of the level playing field
- The new work, the new play
- The more, the more (the less, the less)
- The new literacies
- Developing information capital
- Postscript: breaking out--giving our children a fighting chance.
- Publisher's Summary
- A portrait of two communities in Philadelphia with drastically different economic resources. Over the course of their 10-year investigation, the authors came to understand that this disparity between affluence and poverty has created a knowledge gap with serious implifications for students' economic prosperity and social mobility.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Literacy > Social aspects > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia > Case studies.
- Libraries and community > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia > Case studies.
- Educational equalization > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia > Case studies.
- Philadelphia (Pa.) > Social conditions > Case studies.
- Chestnut Hill (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Publication date
- Susan B. Neuman, Donna C. Celano.
- 9780807753583 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807753580 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780807753590 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0807753599 (hardcover : alk. paper)