Taste buds and molecules : the art and science of food, wine, and flavor
- François Chartier ; translated by Levi Reiss..
- Uniform Title
- Papilles et molécules. English
- Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley, c2012.
- Physical description
- 223 p. : col. ill. ; 22 cm.
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|TX726 .C4413 2012||Unknown|
- Chartier, François.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 212) and index.
- Machine generated contents note: Foreword by Juli Soler and Ferran Adrià, elBulli restaurant 8Foreword by Dr. Richard Be;liveau 11Acknowledgments 12Author Introduction 14Introductory ChaptersThe Culinary Revolution 19Unleashed by the principles of food harmony and molecular sommellerieFood Harmony and Molecular Sommellerie 23The genes of a new harmonious science balancing cuisine, wine, and wine and food pairingselBulli 29A trip into the universe of the "Best Restaurant in the World"Aromas and Flavors 35The fundamental importance of aromas in identifying and appreciating the taste of foods, wines, and beveragesChapters on Food and Wine PairingMint and Sauvignon Blanc 43An open door into the world of anise-flavored foods and winesSotolon 57The molecular chain linking vin jaune, curry, maples syrup, Sauernes, etc.Fino and Oloroso 65A veil of aromas with sherry winesOak and Barrels 77Oak: The maestro of aromas and flavor enhancementBeef 87From the stockyard to the ovenGewürztraminer/Ginger/Lychee/Scheurebe 95Molecular family historyPineapple and Strawberries 105A strange overlapping destinyCloves 111The spice of the barrelRosemary 121A Southerner... with an Alsatian profile!Saffron 131The Queen of SpicesGinger 141A seducer with a great power of attractionMaple Syrup 149The aromatic sap stamped with a Quebec identityQuebecois and Classic European Cheeses 159Tracking down their aromasCinnamon 169A hot and sensual spiceCapsaicin 177The 'fiery" molecule in chili peppersA Taste of Cold 187Apples and other foods with refreshing flavorsExperiments in Food Harmony and Molecular Sommellerie 197A molecular tasting meal with two master chefsMini Glossary 211Bibliography 212.
- Publisher's Summary
- "If Catalan superchef Ferran Adria is the leading missionary of molecular gastronomy, Mr. Chartier is his counterpart with a corkscrew."--"Globe and Mail"This award-winning book, now available for the first time in English in the U.S., presents a cutting-edge approach to food and wine pairing. Sommelier Francois Chartier has spent the better part of two decades collaborating with top scientists and chefs to map out the aromatic molecules that give foods and wines their flavor. Armed with the results of his extensive research, Chartier has been able to identify why certain foods and wines work well together at a molecular level. In this book, he has gathered his findings into a simple set of principles that explain how to create ideal harmonies in food and wine pairings. This new approach to the art and science of food and wine pairing will be an invaluable resource for sommeliers, chefs, and wine enthusiasts, as well as a fascinating read for anyone who is interested in the principles of modernist or "molecular" cuisine. The Canadian edition of Taste Buds and Molecules was a 2011 IACP Award nominee, and the original French-language edition, "Papilles et Molecules, " was named the Best Cookbook in the World in the category of Innovation at the 2010 Paris World Cookbook Awards, and also won the 2010 Gourmand Award for Canada for Best Design. The book includes a foreword by Juli Soler and Ferran Adria of El Bulli, who worked closely with Chartier in planning the menus at their renowned restaurant.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781118141847 20160610
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- Publication date
- 9781118141847 (hardback : acid-free paper)
- 1118141849 (hardback : acid-free paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: