20% chance of rain [electronic resource] : exploring the concept of risk
- Richard B. Jones.
- Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley, c2012.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xi, 343 p.) : ill.
- Jones, Richard B. (Richard Bradley), 1947-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface ix Acknowledgments xi
- 1. Risk: Life's Question Mark 1
- 2. Measurement: The Alchemist's Base 15
- 3. Statistics: Numbers Looking for an Argument 41
- 4. The Value of Life and Limb, Statistically Speaking 69
- 5. The Evolution of Risk 93
- 6. Frequency and Severity: Weighing the Risk 107
- 7. What's in a Risk? Perception Creates Risk Reality 128
- 8. Risk, Regulation, and Reason 151
- 9. Earth, Air, and Water: The Not-So-Bare Essentials 176
- 10. Food ... for Thought 210
- 11. Flying: The Not-So-Wild Blue Yonder 249
- 12. Risk on the Roads 278
- 13. An Incomplete List of Life's Risks 315 Index 337.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
There are plenty of books on specialized risk topics but few that deal with the broad diversity and daily applicability of this subject. Risk applications require a robust knowledge of many attributes of this seemingly simple subject. This book teaches the reader through examples and case studies the fundamental (and subtle) aspects of risk - regardless of the specific situation. The text allows the reader to understand the concept of risk analysis while not getting too involved in the mathematics; in this method the reader can apply these techniques across a wide range of situations. The second edition includes new examples from NASA and several other industries as well as new case studies from legal databases. The many real-life discussion topics enable the reader to form an understanding of the concepts of risk and risk management and apply them to day-to-day issues.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Risk assessment.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Twenty percent chance of rain
- 9781118116371 (online)
- 1118116372 (onlne)
- 9781118116340 (PDF)
- 1118116348 (PDF)
- 9781118116364 (ePub)
- 1118116364 (ePub)
- 9780470592410 (pbk.)
- 0470592419 (pbk.)