Travel sketches from Liberia : Johann Büttikofer's 19th century rainforest explorations in West Africa : annotated English edition
- edited by Henk Dop, Phillip T. Robinson.
- Uniform Title
- Reisebilder aus Liberia. English
- Annotated English ed.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2013.
- Physical description
- xlvii, 866 p. : ill. (some col.), maps (some col.) ; 24 cm.
- Sources for African history ; v. 5.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Vol. 1. I. Journey to Monrovia
- II. Monrovia
- III. General character of the land
- IV. Voyage to Muhlenburg Mission and stay with Mr. Day
- V. Plant life
- VI. Journey to Bavia and stay there
- VII. On reconnaissance. Relocation of our station. Soforeh place
- VIII. A raid for victuals towards the west. Journey to Monrovia. Hunting forays
- IX. Further adventures. Withdrawal to Monrovia
- X. Stay in the district of Grand Cape Mount until Sala's death
- XI. A hunting trip into the interior
- XII. Further adventures. Return to Europe
- XIII. Second journey to Liberia and visit to Grand cape Mount
- XIV. Journey to Schieffelinsville, our station at the Junk River, and first stay there
- XV. Sojourn at the Du Queah River
- XVI. Journey to Monrovia and to the falls of the Du Queah
- XVII. Further experiences
- XVIII. To the ports of eastern Liberia. Return to Europe
- Vol. 2. The Liberians
- I. The founding and development of the Free State until its declaration of independence (1816-1847)
- II. The Free State of Liberia from its independence until present
- III. The public economy and mercantile conditions
- IV. Products of the land and their exploitation, agriculture and agricultural economy
- V. The life of the Liberians. Social conditions. The natives
- VI. Political and social conditions
- VII. Anthropological aspects. Clothing and jewellery. Dwellings
- VIII. Negro languages
- IX. Diet, occupations and character of the natives
- X. Everyday life, ways and customs. Islam and Christianity
- The animal world
- XI. Mammals
- XII. Birds
- XIII. Reptiles and amphibians. Fish. Invertebrate
- Appendices: Zoological publications on our collections from Liberia (notes from the Leyden Museum)
- List of the Liberian animals specimens elaborated to date.
- Publisher's Summary
- In the 1880s a Swiss-born biologist, Johann Buttikofer, who was working for the Royal Museum of Natural History in Leiden, The Netherlands, carried out two extended expeditions to Liberia, West Africa. In 1890 he published the results of his work in German in two-volumes, entitled Reisebilder aus Liberia (Travel Sketches from Liberia).Buttikofer worked extensively in the forested regions of coastal Liberia and made the acquaintance of many prominent Liberians and other personalities of that era. His extensive zoological work there is actually exceeded by his detailed descriptions of the state of Liberia some 50 years following its colonization by American slaves and their descendents. It constitutes the first comprehensive monograph on the Republic of Liberia.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Sources for African history ; v. 5
- 9789004233478 (Paper)
- 9004233474 (Paper)
- 9789004236301 (e-book)
- 9004236309 (e-book)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: