Sport for development, peace, and social justice
- Robert J. Schinke, Stephanie J. Hanrahan, editors.
- Morgantown, WV : Fitness Information Technology, c2012.
- Physical description
- vi, 288 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Sport & global cultures series.
Law Library (Crown)
|GV706.5 .S658 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Sport as a possible intervention : an introduction / Robert J. Schinke and Stephanie J. Hanrahan
- Developing peace through community sport in multi-ethnic South African contexts / Marion Keim
- The Doves Olympic Movement Project : integrating Olympism, development, and peace / Alexis Lyras
- Soccer as a mediator for fostering relationships and building peace among Jewish and Arab players / Ronnie Lidor and Boris Blumenstein
- Working through distrust with a Canadian First Nation through sport research / Robert J. Schinke ... [et al.]
- Rethinking community-based crime prevention through sports / Douglas Hartmann
- Postcolonial and feminist critiques of sport for development / Audrey R. Giles and Meghan Lynch
- Making space for gay sport participants / Barbara Ravel
- Examining the spectrum of inclusion and opportunity in sport for persons with disabilities / Ted Fay and Eli Wolff
- Developing adolescents' self-worth and life satisfaction through physically active games : interventions with orphans and teenagers living in poverty / Stephanie J. Hanrahan
- Using sport to promote HIV/AIDS education among at-risk youths in sub-Saharan Africa / Glyn C. Roberts, Cyprian Maro, and Marit Sørensen
- Future directions in youth leadership research in sport / Daniel Gould, Dana K. Voelker, and Jed Blanton
- Youth sports : what counts as "positive development"? / Jay Coakley
- Revelation at the Superdome : race, class, and politics in post-Katrina America / Michael D. Giardina and C.L. Cole
- Investing in communities : sporting events and social responsibility / Laura Misener and Daniel S. Mason
- Intercollegiate athletics' role in donor development in higher education / Jeffrey L. Stinson and Dennis R. Howard
- Corporate philanthropic activity related to sport : what works and what doesn't / Shane Pegg and Ian Patterson
- Conclusions and future directions / Stephanie J. Hanrahan and Robert J. Schinke.
- Publisher's Summary
- This book goes beyond the individual benefits of sport to look more closely at what sport can offer to groups of people and the communities in which they live. While the domain of sport development is mostly uncharted, editors Robert Schinke and Stephanie Hanrahan integrate sport development projects from different disciplines to challenge readers to broaden the scope of what they think can be achieved through sport. The 18 chapters, written by some of the world s top sport science scholars, are presented in four trajectories (peace and reconciliation, social justice, health and well-being, and corporate social responsibility) that reflect the sport development literature. Each chapter contains a different disciplinary approach to sport development that will captivate and stimulate readers to create new collaborations among practitioners and community stakeholders.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781935412342 20160609
- Publication date
- Sport & global cultures series
- 1935412345 (pbk.)
- 9781935412342 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: