Resistant students : reach me before you teach me
- Skvorak, Mary, 1940-
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Education, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- x, 127 pages ; 24 cm
LC4801 .S56 2013
- Unknown LC4801 .S56 2013
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 125-126).
- CHAPTER ONE: IF HOUSES ARE BUILT UPON SAND... Foundations for Secure Relationships Positive and Negative Aspects of Resistance Five Ways to Reframe Negative Situations into Positive Opportunities CHAPTER TWO: SELF-TALK IS LIKE A MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE What is Self-talk? The Impact Personal Self-talk Has on Students Counteract Students' Negative Self-talk - Five Examples CHAPTER THREE: DO BATTLES WIN WARS? Recognize Conflict as Opportunity Capitalize on Developmental Challenges Prevent Unnecessary Power Struggles CHAPTER FOUR: THIS FIRE NEEDS WATER! Anger Management in the Classroom Minimize Angry Feelings in School Teach Prosocial Skills that Empower Students to Self-manage CHAPTER FIVE: THE AMAZING MAZE: PUNISHMENT, CONSEQUENCES AND RESPONSIBILITY Punishment and Motivation Consequences are Natural Effects Responsibility Is a Five-letter Word CHAPTER SIX: WOULD YOU READ THIS CHAPTER FOR A REWARD? Reinforcement Revisited Positive Reinforcement Should Safeguard Self-Management Ways to Use rewards to Reinforce Relationships CHAPTER SEVEN: KNOWING ME, KNOWING YOU - IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO Multiple Intelligences - Gifts, Talents, Special Interests and Ways of Thinking Learning Styles - Preferences Affect Learning Behaviors Resistant Learners or Resistant Teachers? CHAPTER EIGHT: THREE Rs - DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THEM Resilient Resistors Resistance vs. Culture Clash Recipe for Relating to a Resistant Student.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Resistant Learners: Reach Me Before You Teach Me focuses on those students whose behavior limits their learning and challenges their teachers while perhaps interrupting the learning cycle of their peers. Each chapter explains the theoretical and research background for each topic. Most importantly, each chapter satisfies the intentional design of the book-to offer situational examples and dialog that clearly shows how building trusting relationships can happen and how making positive personal connections with students might actually look. Practicing teachers, pre-service teachers, teacher educators, professional development staff and school administrators who represent the field of education as caring professionals will benefit from this book.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Mary Skvorak.
- 9781610489089 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 161048908X (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781610489096 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1610489098 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781610489102 (ebook)
- 1610489101 (ebook)