The teachers' lounge (uncensored) : a funny, edgy, poignant look at life in the classroom
- Kelly Flynn.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2012.
- Physical description
- xvii, 155 p. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB1025.3 .F59 2012
- Unknown LB1025.3 .F59 2012
- Flynn, Kelly, 1958-
- Chapter One - Teachers From first impressions and second chances to nuked fish and being punked. Chapter Two - Students From facing resistance and trashed bathrooms to cologne in the eye and getting skunked. Chapter Three - Parents From absenteeism and grade inflation to prom paparazzi and the X-rated boogie. Chapter Four - Community From school safety and shuffled children to life in the fishbowl and dancing on cars. Chapter Five - Policy From failing schools and merit pay to quirky brilliance and cleavage.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book was chosen by The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International as one of its Top 5 Must Reads for 2013. DKG is organized in 18 countries around the world and works to promote professional and personal growth for women educators and excellence in education. Teachers step to the front of the classroom every day and do their darnedest to capture their student's attention and keep it. But so many things get in the way: unruly kids, disagreeable parents, homes so broken it is beyond imagining, bureaucracy and red tape, the influence of technology and the media, a culture that celebrates misguided values, and most intrusively, government regulations that purport to improve teaching and learning, but in fact, are destroying it. The Teachers' Lounge (Uncensored) gives you a peek inside that classroom. Kelly Flynn takes readers by the hand and says, "Come inside my school, walk a mile in my halls, and then we'll talk about education reform." With breathtaking clarity and a healthy dose of humor Kelly Flynn shares with readers what all teachers know; that when you teach in a public school there are days that you laugh, days that you cry, and days that you laugh until you cry. Each student is surprisingly, delightfully, wildly different, which is precisely why one-size-fits-all education does not work. Check out further praise for the book at the Reclaim Reform blog: http://bit.ly/1pD654W.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781475800326 (hbk. : acid-free paper)
- 1475800320 (hbk. : acid-free paper)
- 9781475800333 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- 9781475800340 (ebk.)