The papers of Eliza Lucas Pinckney and Harriott Pinckney Horry digital edition [electronic resource].
- [Charlottesville, Va.] : University of Virginia Press, c2012.
- Introductory and explanatory materials
- Original documents. Correspondence, legal and financial documents ; Travel journals of Harriott Pinckney Horry ; Recipe books.
- "The papers of Eliza Lucas Pinckney (1722-1793) and her daughter Harriott Pinckney Horry (1748-1830) document the lives of two observant and articulate founding-era women who were members of one of South Carolina's leading families. Their letters, diaries, and other documents span nearly a century (1739-1830) and provide a window on politics, social events, and people of the late colonial and early national periods. They richly detail the daily life of maintaining family ties and managing households and plantations. Pinckney's correspondence illustrates the importance of women's social connections and transatlantic friendships. Horry's correspondence documents the strength of personal ties that linked the elite families of the North and the South to each other even as connections were threatened by disputes over slavery, commercial differences, and political and constitutional conflict."
- Pinckney, Eliza Lucas, 1723-1793.
- Pinckney, Eliza Lucas, 1723-1793 > Correspondence.
- Horry, Harriott Pinckney, 1749-1830.
- Horry, Harriott Pinckney, 1749-1830 > Correspondence.
- South Carolina > History > Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775 > Sources.
- South Carolina > History > 18th century > Sources.
- South Carolina > History > 19th century > Sources.
- South Carolina > Social life and customs > 18th century > Sources.
- South Carolina > Social life and customs > 19th century > Sources.
- Database topics
- American History
- Publication date
- Includes PDF facsimile of: A colonial plantation cookbook : the receipt book of Harriott Pinckney Horry, 1770. Columbia, S.C. : University of South Carolina Press, c1984.
- Funding Information
- Funding provided by National Endowment for the Humanities.
- Related Work
- Horry, Harriott Pinckney, 1748-1830. Colonial plantation cookbook.