Physiology of the gastrointestinal tract [electronic resource]
- editor-in-chief, Leonard R. Johnson.
- London : Academic Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (2 v.)
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Vol. I, section I: Basic cell physiology, genetics, and growth of the GI tract ; section 2. Neurogastroenterology ; Section 3: Host defense mechanisms
- vol. 2, section 4. Physiology of secretion ; section 5. Digestion and absorption ; section 6. Consequences of disregulated physiology.
- Publisher's Summary
- Physiology of the Gastrointestinal Tract, Fifth Edition - winner of a 2013 Highly Commended BMA Medical Book Award for Internal Medicine - covers the study of the mechanical, physical, and biochemical functions of the GI Tract while linking the clinical disease or disorder, bridging the gap between clinical and laboratory medicine. The gastrointestinal system is responsible for the breakdown and absorption of various foods and liquids needed to sustain life. Other diseases and disorders treated by clinicians in this area include: food allergies, constipation, chronic liver disease and cirrhosis, gallstones, gastritis, GERD, hemorrhoids, IBS, lactose intolerance, pancreatic, appendicitis, celiac disease, Crohn's disease, peptic ulcer, stomach ulcer, viral hepatitis, colorectal cancer and liver transplants. The new edition is a highly referenced and useful resource for gastroenterologists, physiologists, internists, professional researchers, and instructors teaching courses for clinical and research students. *2013 Highly Commended BMA Medical Book Award for Internal Medicine* Discusses the multiple processes governing gastrointestinal function* Each section edited by preeminent scientist in the field* Updated, four-color illustrations.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Available in another form
- Print version: Physiology of the gastrointestinal tract. London : Academic, 2012 9780123820266 (OCoLC)758982753
- 9780123820273 (electronic bk.)
- 0123820278 (electronic bk.)
- 9780123820266 (electronic bk.)
- 012382026X (electronic bk.)