Battered women, their children, and international law : the unintended consequences of the Hague Child Abduction Convention
- Taryn Lindhorst, Jeffrey L. Edleson.
- Boston : Northeastern University Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- xv, 258 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Northeastern series on gender, crime, and law.
Law Library (Crown)
|K707 .L56 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 233-248) and index.
- Introduction: Globalization, families, and domestic violence : the Hague Convention in practice
- Emotional terror, physical harm, and women's experiences of domestic violence
- The misinterpretation of domestic violence : recasting survival as child abduction
- The unique situation of Latinas responding to Hague petitions / with Luz Lopez and Gita Mehrotra
- Child exposure to abduction and domestic violence
- Hague decisions and the aftermath
- How attorneys litigate Hague domestic violence cases
- Judicial reasoning in Hague cases involving domestic violence / with William Vesneski
- Practice and policy implications
- Afterword / by Sudha Shetty.
- Publisher's Summary
- Ending a bad personal relationship is extremely complicated when the relationship is transnational. Women whose partners are abusive often turn to family members for assistance. When this means leaving one nation for another with one's children, Hague Convention (1980) international treaties come into play. All too often, the mother is charged with child abduction and forced to return the children to an abusive father. Drawing on a series of true-life stories, the authors reveal important dimensions of domestic law, interpretations of children's best interests, and the legal rationales required to ensure safety for battered women and their children across international boundaries.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Unintended consequences of the Hague Child Abduction Convention
- Northeastern series on gender, crime, and law
- 9781555538026 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1555538029 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781555538033 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1555538037 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781555538040 (ebook)
- 1555538045 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: