Exceptional people : lessons learned from special education survivors
- Andreasen, Faith E., 1956-
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2012.
- Physical description
- xxi, 123 p. ; 24 cm.
LC3981 .A72 2012
- Unknown LC3981 .A72 2012
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Preface Acknowledgments Introduction Chapter 1 Chris's Story: Emotional and Writing Exceptionality Chapter 2 Chris's Parents' Story: Emotional and Writing Exceptionality Chapter 3 Clark's Story: Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy Chapter 4 Craig's Parents' Story: Autism Spectrum Disorder Chapter 5 Daniel's Story: OHI-Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder Chapter 6 Daniel's Mother's Story: OHI-Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder Chapter 7 Howard's Story: Dyslexia Chapter 8 Mercedez's Story: Hearing Impairment Chapter 9 Mercedez's Mother's Story: Hearing Impairment Chapter 10 Mike's Story: Learning Exceptionality in Reading and Mathematics Chapter 11 Final Thoughts and Flagship Moments About the Author.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Exceptional People: Lessons Learned from Special Education Survivors is a unique work that describes disabled (exceptional) students' and their parents' perspectives as they journeyed through the education system. For educators, it provides a window to the souls of the children whose lives they affect on a daily basis and offers proven strategies that can be implemented immediately. For students, it describes how they can successfully overcome the embarrassment of their special education label, the humiliation of being bullied by classmates, and the discomfort felt when called "stupid" or "lazy" by their teachers. For parents, it captures their pain when they first learned their child had a disability and the fight they faced as they attempted to advocate for their child (usually not knowing their legal rights, the correct questions to ask, or the organizations available to support them). An easy read with a powerful message, Exceptional People conveys significant insights through its personal stories and professional tips.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Faith E. Andreasen.
- 9781475801255 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1475801254 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781475801262 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1475801262 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781475801279 (electronic)
- 1475801270 (electronic)