Religion, education and governance in the Middle East : between tradition and modernity
- edited by Sai Felicia Krishna-Hensel.
- Farnham, Surrey ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2012.
- Physical description
- 217 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Global interdisciplinary studies series.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC910.3 .R45 2012||Unknown|
- Krishna-Hensel, Sai Felicia.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contents: Introduction: the Middle East - modernity, religion and governance, Sai Felicia Krishna-Hensel-- Global governance, Islamism, and authority in the Middle East, Alise Coen-- Modernity, Islam and religious activism, Deina Abdelkader-- The interrelated dynamics of culture, religion and nation in the United Arab Emirates, Vania Carvalho Pinto-- Lebanon's quest for independence: between fragmentation, political instability and foreign intervention, Benedetta Berti-- Challenging the Hashemites: the Muslim Brotherhood and the Islamic Action Front in Jordan, Kursad Turan-- The micro-foundations of religious party moderation: religious party supporters and ideological changes, Sultan Tepe-- The politics of religious education in Turkey, Yusuf Sarfati-- Uncertainty in governance processes: the political economy of biosafety policies in Turkey, Ebru Tekin-- Epilog-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781409471912 20160615
- Publisher's Summary
- The Middle East is a key geopolitical strategic region in the international system but its distinctive cultural and political divisions present a mosaic of states that do not lend themselves to simplistic interpretations. A thoughtful analysis of the Middle East requires an understanding of the synergism between tradition and modernity in the region as it adapts to a globalizing world. Religious education and activism continue to remain a significant factor in the modernization process and the development of modern governance in the states of the Middle East. This interdisciplinary book explores the historical and contemporary role of religious tradition and education on political elites and governing agencies in several major states as well as generally in the region. The relationship between democracy and authority is examined to provide a better understanding of the complexity underlying the emergence of new power configurations. As the region continues to respond to the forces of change in the international system it remains an important and intriguing area for analysts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781409471912 20160615
- Publication date
- Global interdisciplinary studies series
- 9781409439868 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 1409439860 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9781409439875 (ebook)
- 1409439879 (ebook)
- 9781409471912 (ebook--ePUB)
- 1409471918 (ebook--ePUB)
Browse related items
Start at call number: