General education and the development of global citizenship in Hong Kong, Taiwan and mainland China : not merely icing on the cake
- Edited by Xing Jun, Ng Pak-sheung, and Cheng Chunyan.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- xiv, 238 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Routledge research in Asian education.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC988 .C6 G46 2013||Unknown|
- Xing, Jun, editor of compilation.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. General Education and Global Citizenship: A Comparative Study in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Mainland China - XING, Jun and NG, Pak-sheung, CHENG, Chloe Part I: Concepts and Objectives Of General Education 2. Globalization and Higher Education in Greater China: Trends and Challenges - HUANG, Chun-Chieh, National Taiwan University 3. Liberal and Humanistic Education: General Education Program at the Chinese University of Hong Kong - CHEUNG Chan Fai, Chinese University of Hong Kong 4. The Implications of University Culture Development for General Education - SONG, Shanggui, Jinan University 5. From Liberal Education to General Education: Change and Continuity in the Philosophy of University Education - LEUNG, Mei Yee, Chinese University of Hong Kong Part II: Curricular Designs for General Education 6. Meaning and Methods: The Role of General Education and Its Curriculum Designing - HU, Xianzhang and CAO, Li, Tsinghua University 7. The Relationship between General Education and Whole-Person Education - LIN, Mei Chin, Fu Jen Catholic University 8. Case Studies of Mainland China: General Education in Higher Education Institutions - LI, Manli, Tsinghua University 9. Various Curricular Designs at UGC-Supported Universities in Hong Kong - FREAKE, Hedley, Fulbright Scholar in General Education, Hong Kong Part III: Pedagogical Approaches to General Education 10. Science, the First Humanity (shifting his focus to liberal studies in general?) - BABSON, John, Hong Kong Polytechnic University 11. How to Teach Science as General Education Courses with An Emphasis on Chinese Medicine - FAN, Ka Wai, City University of Hong Kong 12. General Education Mathematics at the University Level: Courses and Pedagogical Approaches - WANG, Lixia, Beijing University of Posts & Telecommunications 13. How to Train Faculty to Teach General Education Curricula - WANG, Lin-Wen and LIANG, Jia-Chi, Yuan Ze University Part IV: Outcome Assessment for General Education 14. A Personal View of the Evaluation of the Humanities and Social Sciences in Higher Education - HUANG, Chun-Chieh, National Taiwan University 15. Current Situation and Improvement Strategies for General Education Assessment at Mainland Chinese Universities - FENG, Huimin, Wuhan University 16. Learning Outcomes of General Education Course with Service-Learning Component: A Case for Academic and Student Affairs Collaboration in Hong Kong - LAI, Kwok Hung and XU, Hui Xuan, Hong Kong Institute of Education.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415623971 20160610
- Publisher's Summary
- General Education has taken center stage in the greater China area (Hong Kong, Taiwan and mainland China) because of a number of important developments. First, globalization has created both opportunities and challenges for college students. When they graduate and enter the real world, they must have the cultural sensitivities and social skills, in addition to their professional training, to compete in a knowledge-based global economy. Equally significant for institutions of higher education, pressing global problems challenge traditional disciplines and demand new forms of learning that reshapes the boundaries of knowledge. In response to those rapidly changing dynamics, general education has taken an increasingly important role in undergraduate education. As the first English publication on the subject, this anthology brings together a distinguished group of General Education scholars and teachers from Hong Kong, Taiwan and mainland China.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415623971 20160610
- Publication date
- Routledge research in Asian education
- 9780415623971 (hb)
- 0415623979 (hb)
- 9780203083154 (eb)
Browse related items
Start at call number: