The Joint Chiefs of Staff and National Policy, 1950-1951. The Korean War. Part one
- James F. Schnabel, Robert J. Watson.
- Washington D.C. : Defense Technical Information Center, 1998.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xi, 338 pages) : illustrations
- History of the Joint Chiefs of Staff ; v. 3.
Also available at
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ["Established during World War II to advise the President regarding the strategic direction of the armed forces of the United States, the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) continued in existence after the war and, as military advisers and planners, have played a significant role in the development of national policy. Knowledge of JCS relations with the President, the National Security Council, and the Secretary of Defense in the years since World War II is essential to an understanding of their current work. An account of their activity in peacetime and during times of crisis provides, moreover, an important series of chapters in the military history of the United States. For these reasons, the Joint Chiefs of Staff directed that an official history be written for the record. Its value for instructional purposes, for the orientation of officers newly assigned to the JCS organization, and as a source of information for staff studies will be readily recognized. The series, The Joint Chiefs of Staff and National Policy, treats the activities of the Joint Chiefs of Staff since the close of World War II. Because of the nature of the activities of the Joint Chiefs of Staff as well as the sensitivity of the sources, the volumes of the series were originally prepared in classified form. Classification designations, in text and footnotes, are those that appeared in the original classified volume. Following review and declassification, the initial four volumes, covering the years 1945 to 1952 and the Korean war, were distributed in unclassified form within the Department of Defense and copies were deposited with the National Archives and Records Administration. These volumes are now being made available as official publications."]
- United States. Joint Chiefs of Staff > History.
- United States > Military policy.
- Korean War, 1950-1953.
- Humanities and History.
- Military Forces and Organizations.
- Military history.
- National security.
- Korean war.
- Department of defense.
- United states.
- United states government.
- Officer personnel.
- Second world war.
- JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF
- Publication date
- History of the Joint Chiefs of Staff ; volume III
- APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE.