Criminal enforcement of intellectual property : a handbook of contemporary research
- edited by Christophe Geiger.
- Cheltenham, UK ; Northampton, MA : Edward Elgar, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiv, 416 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Research handbooks in intellectual property.
Law Library (Crown)
|K1401 .C75 2012||Unknown|
- Geiger, Christophe.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction / Cristophe Geiger
- Economic, legal and social impacts of counterfeiting / Reto M. Hilty
- Counterfeiting and consumer protection / Ansgar Ohly
- Counterfeiting and public health / Duncan Matthews
- Anti-counterfeiting : a Trojan horse for expanding intellectual property protection in developing countries? / Carlos M. Correa
- From sweatshops to organized crime : the new face of counterfeiting / Mickaël R. Roudant
- Historical perspective on criminal enforcement / David Lefranc
- Criminal enforcement of intellectual property law : an economic approach / Andrea Wechsler
- Why do 'good people' disregard copyright on the Internet? / Alexander Peukert
- Criminal enforcement and international IP law / Henning Grosse Ruse-Khan
- Criminal liability for intellectual property infringement in Europe : the role of fundamental rights / Jonathan Griffiths
- Criminal enforcement and European Union law / Tuomas Mylly
- The directive proposal on criminal sanctions / Johanna Gibson
- Criminal enforcement in the US and Canada / Daniel Gervais
- Shaping Chinese criminal enforcement norms through the TRIPS agreement / Peter K. Yu
- Criminalizing IP use in the UK : from trademark use to illicit downloads / Guido Westkamp
- The French case : comparison of the past, present and future of criminal law / Joanna Schmidt-Szalewski
- Strategies against counterfeiting of drugs : a comparative criminal law study / Hans-Georg Koch / Counterfeiting and the spare parts issue / Josef Drexl
- Counterfeiting and the music industry : towards a criminalization of end users? : The French 'HADOPI' example / Christophe Geiger.
- Publisher's Summary
- This wide-ranging Research Handbook is the first to offer a stimulating and systematic review of the framework for criminal enforcement of intellectual property rights. If counterfeiting constitutes an ever-growing international phenomenon with major economic and social repercussions, potentially affecting consumer safety and public health, the question of which are the appropriate instruments to enforce IP rights is a complex and sensitive one. Although criminal penalties can constitute strong and effective means of enforcement, serious doubts exist as to whether criminal sanctions are appropriate in every infringement situation. Drawing on legal, economic, historical and judicial perspectives, this book provides a differentiated sector-by-sector approach to the question of enforcement, and draws useful conclusions for future legislative initiatives at European, international and national levels. Offering a broad survey of the field, and a sound platform for further research, this legal and cross-disciplinary study by leading scholars will prove insightful for professors, researchers and students in intellectual property, criminal, competition, consumer protection and health law.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Research handbooks in intellectual property
- 9781849801461 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1849801460 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781781005149 (ebk.)
- 1781005141 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: