La bataille d'Alger [videorecording] = The battle of Algiers
- un film de Gillo Pontecorvo ; scénario de Franco Solinas ; production Casbah Films, Igor Film ; produit par Yacef Saadi.
- French, English, Arabic. French and Arabic dialogue, optional English subtitles.
- Special ed.
- Irvington, N.Y. : Criterion Collection, c2004.
- Physical description
- 3 videodiscs (121 min.) : sd., b&w and col. ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 booklet (55 p. ; 19 cm.).
- Criterion collection (DVD videodiscs) 249.
- LAW-681B-01 -- Can Philosophical Insights or Empirical Knowledge Help Us
- Cavallaro, James L
At the library
- 1. The battle of Algiers (121 min.)
- 2. Pontecorvo and the film
- 3. The film and history.
- Dramatizes the harrowing events of 1957, a key year in Algeria's struggle for independence from France. Recreates the tumultuous Algerian uprising against the occupying French in the 1950s. As violence escalates on both sides, the French torture prisoners for information and the Algerians resort to terrorism in their quest for independence. Children shoot soldiers at point-blank range, women plant bombs in cafés. The French win the battle, but ultimately lose the war as the Algerian people demonstrate that they will no longer be suppressed.
- Release date
- Production date
- Title Variation
- Battle of Algiers
- Criterion collection ; 249
- Originally released as a motion picture in 1966.
- Based on: Souvenirs de la Bataille d'Alger / Saadi Yacef.
- Special features: Disc 1: theatrical and re-release trailers; production gallery. Disc 2: "Gillo Pontecorvo: the dictatorship of truth," a 37 min. documentary made in 1992 about Pontecorvo; The making of The battle of Algiers (51 min.); Spike Lee, Mira Nair, Julian Schnabel, Steven Soderbergh, and Oliver Stone discuss the film (17 min.). Disc 3: "Remembering history," a 69 min. documentary about the Algerian Revolution; "États d'armes," 28 min. of excerpts from Patrick Rotman's 3-part documentary, L'Ennemi Intime, which focuses on the horror of the Revolution; "The battle of Algiers, a case study" a 25 min. conversation about the contemporary relevance of The battle of Algiers between former National Coordinator for Security and Counterterrorism Richard A. Clarke, former State Department Coordinator for Counterterrorism, Michael A. Sheehan, and Chief of Investigative Projects for ABC News, Christopher E. Isham; "Gillo Pontecorvo's Return to Algiers" (1992) (58 min.).
- Accompanying booklet includes an essay by film scholar Peter Matthews; a reprinted interview with writer Franco Solinas; and brief biographies on the key figures in the French-Algerian War.
- Production Credits
- Director of photography, Marcello Gatti ; editors, Mario Serandrei & Mario Morra ; music, Ennio Morricone & Gillo Pontecorvo ; production designer, Sergio Canevari.
- Brahim Haggiag, Jean Martin, Saadi Yacef, Samia Kerbash, Ugo Paletti, Fusia El Kader, Omar.
- DVD format, region 1, widescreen (1.85:1) presentation, Dolby Digital 1.0 mono.
- Related Work
- Saadi, Yacef, 1928- Souvenirs de la Bataille d'Alger.
- Publisher Number
- BAT120 Criterion Collection
Browse related items
Start at call number: