Teaching Marianne and Uncle Sam : public education, state centralization, and teacher unionism in France and the United States
- Nicholas Toloudis.
- Philadelphia : Temple University Press, 2012.
- Physical description
- xvi, 213 pages ; 24 cm.
- Politics, history, and social change.
Law Library (Crown)
|LB2844.53 .F8 T65 2012||Unknown|
- Toloudis, Nicholas, 1977-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- PART I: The puzzle of turn-of-the-century teachers' politics 1. Teachers, politics, and the state-- 2. Centralization, mobilization, and selective engagement PART II: Centralizing education and mobilizing teachers 3. Centralizing public education and teachers' politics in 19th century France-- 4. Centralization and its discontents among New York City teachers PART III: The politics of selective engagement 5. Selective engagement and teachers' politics in France, 1887-1950-- 6. Selective engagement and teachers' politics in New York City, 1920-1960 PART IV: Conclusions 7. Marianne and Uncle Sam Revisited.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781439909065 20160609
- Publisher's Summary
- Offering the first systematic, comparative examination of the origins of teachers' unions in two countries - France and the United States - this book shows how teachers' unions came into existence not because of the wilful efforts of particular actors, but over the course of decades of conflict over the proper role of professional educators in public politics. Nicholas Toloudis traces teacher unionism back to the first efforts of governments to centralize public education. He carefully documents how centralization created new understandings of the role of teachers in their societies and generated new sources of conflict within teachers' corps. Using rare archival source materials, Toloudis illustrates how these internal conflicts became salient in teachers' battles with governments over their legitimate right to exist as collective claim-makers within the polity.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781439909065 20160609
- Publication date
- Politics, history, and social change
- 9781439909065 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1439909067 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1439909083 (e-book)
- 9781439909089 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: