Criminal process and human rights
- Jeremy Gans ... [et al.] ; foreword, Richard Refshauge.
- Annandale, N.S.W. : Federation Press, 2011.
- Physical description
- xlii, 518 p. ; 24 cm.
Law Library (Crown)
|KU3411 .C757 2011||Unknown|
- Gans, Jeremy, 1971-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction The Human Rights landscape Australian Human Rights Statutes The Right to Liberty: Arrest and Detention in Police Custody The Right to Liberty: The Ancillary Rights of those Deprived of their Liberty The Right to Silence The Right to Security of the Person The Right to Privacy Fair Trial: The Right Fair Trial: The Court Fair Trial: The Parties Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781862878389 20160609
- Publisher's Summary
- Cover artwork : The Physics of Law Courtesy and Copyright of the Artist : Alain K Khadem Criminal Process and Human Rights is a comprehensive guide to the impact of human rights law upon Australian criminal process. It gives an in-depth commentary on the actual and potential impact in Australia of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (the ICCPR) and analyses the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities 2006 (Vic) and the Human Rights Act 2004 (ACT) from a criminal process perspective. The authors provide a detailed coverage of key trends and developments which highlights leading cases and melds the extensive international human rights jurisprudence of the UK, Europe, Canada, the USA, South Africa, New Zealand and Hong Kong into local Australian law. This informed analysis of the major criminal process issues is thematically structured: arrest, detention and bail in the context of the right to personal liberty, 'the first and end of human laws' (Blackstone) the right to silence in both trial and pre-trial contexts rights to security of the person and to privacy, from the most intimate invasion of personal autonomy to search of premises, and fair trial rights and many of the vast array of judicial, prosecution and practitioner obligations, pre-trial and trial, including for example delay, disclosure, waiver of rights and witness questioning.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781862878389 20160609
- Supplemental links
- Table of contents only
- Publication date
- 9781862878389 (pbk.)
- 1862878382 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: