Beyond the death penalty : reflections on punishment
- edited by Hans Nelen and Jacques Claessen.
- Cambridge, UK : Intersentia ; Portland, OR : Distribution for the USA and Canada : International Specialized Book Services, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiv, 326 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Maastricht series in human rights.
Law Library (Crown)
|K5104 .A6 B49 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- General introduction / Hans Nelen and Jacques Claessen
- Whatever happened to the death penalty? / David Garland
- The abolition of the death penalty in the Netherlands / Chrisje Brants
- The long and peculiar history without the death penalty in Finland / Jukka Kekkonen
- Imprisonment as an alternative to the death penalty : historical observations complementary to an emerging discussion / Lydia Bertram
- Towards abolition of the death penalty based on international obligations of a state / Diana Merten
- Crime and punishment in a populist context / Hans Boutellier
- Too readily dismissed? : a victimological perspective on penal populism / Antony Pemberton
- A "natural right" to revenge? / Bas van Stokkom
- Lay participation in the Dutch criminal procedure will not result in higher public satisfaction / Henk Elffers
- Eye to eye with the Dutch anti-social behaviour agenda / Patrick van Calster and Marc Schuilenburg
- Sex with a child robot : psychologial, ethical and legal arguments / David Bamps
- Crime and punishment : reflections on (capital) punishment from a religious perspective / Jacques Claessen
- The South African model of transitional justice : revenge or reconciliation? / Georgi Verbeeck
- Criminal records and judicial rehabilitation in the Netherlands / Miranda Boone
- Life without parole / Hans Nelen
- Working as a prison officer : to be human is to be emotional / Hanne Tournel
- Health care in detention in the Netherlands : dilemmas and decisions / Wilma Duijst, Tatjana Naujocks and Jan Vosters
- The efficiency of solving criminal conflict through negotiation / Stephanie Verhelst
- Recidivism in the Netherlands : Dutch research on the effectiveness of penal interventions / Bouke Wartna, Daphne Alberda and Suzan Verweij.
- Publisher's Summary
- This book contains a selection of papers that were presented during the multidisciplinary conference 'Beyond the Death Penalty: Reflections on Punishment', organised by the Maastricht Centre for Human Rights. The event marked the 150th anniversary of the de facto abolition of the death penalty in the Netherlands. As the title suggests, the scope of this volume moves beyond the death penalty. After a first cluster of chapters with a strong focus on capital punishment, an intriguing mixture of topics in relation to punishment is presented, including chapters on the populist context of contemporary crime control, reconciliation and rehabilitation, prison life, and efficiency and effectiveness. The aim of the conference was to reflect on punishment from a variety of angles and, additionally, to give some food for thought to the contemporary debate on crime and punishment. Undoubtedly, this book will have the same impact on its readers. It will match the interest of many academics, including legal scholars, criminologists, penologists, legal philosophers, sociologists, psychologists, and historians.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781780680606 20160610
- Publication date
- Maastricht Series in Human Rights
- 9781780680606 (pbk.)
- 1780680600 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: