Teaching in the Terrordome : two years in West Baltimore with Teach for America
- Heather Kirn Lanier.
- Columbia, Mo. ; London : University of Missouri Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- x, 237 p. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC5133 .B35 L36 2012||Unknown|
- Lanier, Heather Kirn.
- Publisher's Summary
- Only 50 percent of kids growing up in poverty will earn a high school diploma. Just one in ten will graduate college. Compelled by these troubling statistics, Heather Kirn Lanier joined Teach For America (TFA), a program that thrusts eager but inexperienced college graduates into America's most impoverished areas to teach, asking them to do whatever is necessary to catch their disadvantaged kids up to the rest of the nation. Superbly written and timely, Teaching in the Terrordome casts an unflinching gaze on one of America's dropout factory high schools. Though Teach For America often touts its most successful teacher stories, in this powerful memoir Lanier illuminates a more common experience of Teaching For America with thoughtful complexity, a poet's eye, and an engaging voice.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780826219862 20160610
- Teach for America (Project)
- Education, Urban > Maryland > Baltimore.
- Education, Urban > United States > Case studies.
- High schools > United States.
- Urban schools > United States.
- Educational change.
- Education, Secondary > United States.
- African Americans > Education (Secondary)
- Teachers > United States > Biography.
- Baltimore (Md.) > Social conditions > 21st century.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Two years in West Baltimore with Teach for America
- 9780826219862 (pbk.)
- 0826219861 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: