British student activism in the long sixties
- Caroline M. Hoefferle.
- New York : Routledge, 2013, ©2013.
- Physical description
- 253 pages ; 24 cm.
- Routledge studies in modern British history ; 9.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA631.82 .H64 2013||Unknown|
- Hoefferle, Caroline.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -247) and index.
- Introduction 1. The Beginnings of the Student Movement in the Fifties and Early Sixties 2. "The Troubles" of Universities in the Mid-sixties 3. 1968, That Magical Year 4. The Transformation of the Student Movement 5. The Seventies and the Rise of the Unions Epilogue and Conclusions Notes Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415893817 20160610
- Publisher's Summary
- Based on empirical evidence derived from university and national archives across the country and interviews with participants, British Student Activism in the Long Sixties reconstructs the world of university students in the 1960s and 1970s. Student accounts are placed within the context of a wide variety of primary and secondary sources from across Britain and the world, making this project the first book-length history of the British student movement to employ literary and theoretical frameworks which differentiate it from most other histories of student activism to date. Globalization, especially of mass communications, made British students aware of global problems such as the threat of nuclear weapons, the Vietnam War, racism, sexism and injustice. British students applied these global ideas to their own unique circumstances, using their intellectual traditions and political theories which resulted in unique outcomes. British student activists effectively gained support from students, staff, and workers for their struggle for student's rights to unionize, freely assemble and speak, and participate in university decision-making. Their campaigns effectively raised public awareness of these issues and contributed to significant national decisions in many considerable areas.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415893817 20160610
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Routledge studies in modern British history ; 9
- 9780415893817 (alk. paper)
- 041589381X (alk. paper)
- 9780203102756 (ebk.)
- 0203102754 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: