Islam and higher education : concepts, challenges and opportunities
- Marodsilton Muborakshoeva.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- xiv, 179 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Routledge contemporary South Asia series 59.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA1498 .M84 2013||Unknown|
- Muborakshoeva, Marodsilton, 1967-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -166) and index.
- Introduction 1. Higher Learning in Muslim Contexts: The Past and Present 2. Modern Developments of Higher Education in Muslim Contexts 3. Ideas of 'a University': Key Conceptual Issues and Challenges 4. Concepts of 'a University' in Pakistan 5. The Cases of Universities Visited 6. Challenges Universities in Pakistan Face Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book is the first study to qualitatively explore the concepts of higher education in Muslim contexts. It examines the different concepts of 'a university' and the way they shape practice in Muslim contexts, with a particular focus on the Islamic republic of Pakistan. Contributing to theoretical debates and discussing practical challenges that universities in Muslim countries face, the author analyses seven higher education institutions in Pakistan. She argues that there is a need for institutions to constantly review their mission and aims and objectives in light of the wider economic, political, and socio-cultural and religious development of a society. The book reviews the history of higher education institutions and examines opportunities for some Pakistani universities, to become centres of excellence in the future. This is subject to adequate support from the government, industries, philanthropists and the society at large. In return, these universities would have to cater to the needs of the society, from basic needs in the areas of health and education to science and technology. Islam and Higher Education breaks new grounds in the field of higher education in Muslim contexts and will be of interest to researchers in the fields of comparative education and Islamic Studies.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Routledge contemporary South Asia series ; 59
- 9780415687508 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 0415687500 (hardback : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: