Religious education in pre-modern Europe
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2012.
- Physical description
- x, 254 p. : col. ill. ; 25 cm.
- Studies in the history of religions ; v. 140.
LC313.8 .R45 2012
- Unknown LC313.8 .R45 2012
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contents Towards a Theoretical Frame for the Study of Religious Education: an Introduction - Ilinca Tanaseanu-Dobler, Marvin Dobler Religious Education in Classical Greece - Christoph Auffarth Etrusca Disciplina: How Was It Possible to Learn about Etruscan Religion in Ancient Rome? - Charles Guittard Before the Teachers of Israel and the Sages of Greece: Luke-Acts as a Precursor of the Conjunction of Biblical Faith and Hellenistic Education - Reinhard Feldmeier Religious Education in Late Antique Paganism - Ilinca Tanaseanu-Dobler From a Way of Reading to a Way of Life: Basil of Caesarea and Gregory of Nazianzus about Poetry in Christian Education - Andreas Schwab Locating Young Students in Byzantine Churches: A Chapter on Primary and Secondary Religious Education in Byzantium - Nikos Kalogeras Formation for Wisdom, Not Education for Knowledge - E. Rozanne Elder Bernard of Clairvaux and Religious Education. An Approach from the Perspective of the History of Religions - Marvin Dobler.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Although religious education is a much-debated topic in present-day History of Religions, its study focuses almost exclusively on contemporary phenomena. Furthermore, this field of study still lacks a comprehensive theoretical framework to structure research. The volume presented here explores religious education from a historical perspective, focusing on source material from pre-modern Europe. Scholars from the History of Religions, Theology, Classical Philology, Medieval Studies and Byzantine Studies contribute their expertise to analyse selected aspects of religious education in Antiquity, Byzantium and the Middle Ages, highlighting the diverse concepts of education, educational contents, actors, media, methods, ideals and intentions at play, and anchoring their case studies in the broader panorama of European history. Based on this material, the editors propose a systematic framework to map the research field.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Ilinca Tanaseanu-Döbler and Marvin Döbler.
- Numen book series ; v. 140
- 9789004232136 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9004232133 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9789004232143 (e-book)
- 9004232141 (e-book)