Group representation, feminist theory, and the promise of justice
- Angela D. Ledford.
- Farnham, Surrey, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2012.
- Physical description
- viii, 153 p. ; 24 cm.
- Election law, politics, and theory.
Law Library (Crown)
|K349 .L43 2012||Unknown|
- Ledford, Angela D.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -149) and index.
- Political participation, electoral reform, and social difference : a new politics of representation?
- Lani Uinier : feminist jurisprudence and fair representation
- Feminism and democracy : Anne Phillips and the politics of equality
- Iris Marion Young and the politics of difference
- Representation and the politics of democratic inclusion
- Social class, political representation, and democratic revival : resisting quiescence and manufactured interests
- Conclusion: A feminist politics of inclusion.
- Publisher's Summary
- There has been much important work done in the past two decades in America on issues of under representation based on social differences such as race, ethnicity, class, gender, sexuality, and age. While this scholarship has examined the ways in which women and racial, ethnic, and sexual minorities suffer disproportionately on measures of full citizenship, social class and culture have received relatively little attention. This new study addresses various manifestations of social class and cultural difference as well as their implications for political representation. The analysis demonstrates how three of the most influential feminist theorists who write about political representation conceive of group representation, identify the problems that group representation claims to remedy, and assess the strengths and weaknesses associated with these models. Using theoretical argument, the volume suggests practical electoral reform in order to encourage new and emancipating forms of political engagement.It will be of value to those interested in public policy and governance, political theory, gender studies and law and society in general.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781409418443 20160610
- Publication date
- Election law, politics, and theory
- 9781409418436 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 140941843X (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9781409418443 (ebook)
- 1409418448 (ebook)
- 9781409471455 (ebk. : ePUB)
Browse related items
Start at call number: