Environmental and energy law
- edited by Karen E. Makuch, Ricardo Pereira.
- Chichester, U.K. ; Malden, Mass. : Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
- Physical description
- xxiv, 651 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Law Library (Crown)
|K3981 .E58 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction / Karen E. Makuch and Ricardo Pereira
- Sustainable development and best available techniques in international and European law / Panos Merkouris
- Environmental regulation, business competitiveness and corporate responsibility / Ricardo Pereira
- A legal framework for clean technology transfer and finance / Helena Wright and Ricardo Pereira
- Technology innovation and the law : the example of climate adaptation technologies / Katrin Glatzel, Helena Wright, and Zen Makuch
- Sustainable energy law and policy / Matthew Leach and Sandip Deshmukh
- International and EU climate change law / Ricardo Pereira and Charlotte Jourdain
- UK climate change law and policy / Karen E. Makuch ... [et al.]
- The exploration and exploitation of energy resources in international law / Ricardo Pereira
- Occupational health and safety law : the oil and gas industry / John Paterson
- Energy agreements : force majeure and hardship clauses / Isabelle Fellrath and Frank Spoorenberg
- Carbon capture and storage technologies : an overview and some key issues / Tim Cockerill
- Carbon capture and storage liability / Zen A. Makuch, Slavina Z. Georgieva, and Behdeen Oraee-Mirzamani
- The clean development mechanism : legal and contractual framework in CDM renewable energy projects / Kenneth Aidelojie ... [et al.]
- Solid waste management and regulation / Arturo Castillo-Castillo
- Water management and regulation / Dieudonné-Guy Ohandja and Alexandra Collins
- Integrated pollution and control : the industrial emissions directive / Iain MacLean
- The law and practice of air quality management / Zen Makuch and Marilena Karyampa
- Contaminated land and regulation / Owen Lewis
- The regulation of nanotechnologies / Sekai Ngarize, Karen Makuch, and Ricardo Pereira
- Environmental law standards and principles of good laboratory practice for environmental protection / Elizabeth Prichard and Karen Makuch
- Planning, strategic environmental assessment (SEA) and environmental impact assessment (EIA) / Martin Birt and Steven Smith
- Regulating environmental information and environmental data / Karen E. Makuch
- Corporate law and the Aarhus Convention / Nikzad Oraee-Mirzamani and Zen Makuch
- Compliance and enforcement in international, european and national environmental law / Ricardo Pereira
- Case studies / Karen E. Makuch.
- Publisher's Summary
- Despite bringing prosperity, industrialisation generally leads to increasing levels of pollution which has a detrimental impact on the environment. In response, legislation which seeks to control or prevent such impact has become common. Similarly, climate change and energy security have become major drivers for the regulatory regimes that have emerged in the energy field. Given the global or regional scope of many environmental problems, international cooperation is often necessary to ensure such legislation is effective. The EU and the UK have contributed to the development of the environmental and energy law regimes currently in force, spanning across international, transnational and national levels. At the same time, practical responses to environmental and energy problems have largely been the focus of engineers, scientists and other technical experts. Environmental & Energy Law attempts to bridge the knowledge gap between legal developments designed to achieve environmental and/or energy-related objectives and the practical, scientific and technical considerations applicable to the same environmental problems. In particular, it attempts to convey a broad range of topical issues in environmental and energy law, from climate and energy regulation, technology innovation and transfer, to pollution control, environmental governance and enforcement. In addition the book outlines key sector specific legal regimes (including water, waste and air quality management), focusing on issues or topics that are particularly relevant to both environmental and energy lawyers, and engineering, science and technology-oriented professionals and students. In this vein, the book guides the reader on some basic practical applications of the law within scientific, engineering and other practical settings. The book will be useful to all those working or studying in the environmental or energy arena, including law students, legal professionals, engineering and science students and professionals. By adopting a multi-disciplinary approach to environmental and energy law, the book embraces all readerships and helps to address the often thorny problem of communication between scientists, engineers, lawyers and policy-makers.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781405177870 20160610
- Publication date
- 9781405177870 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 140517787X (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: