The career mystique : cracks in the American dream
- Phyllis Moen and Patricia Roehling.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, c2005.
- Physical description
- xi, 291 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
Law Library (Crown)
|HD4904.25 .M638 2005||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 227-269) and indexes.
- The career mystique
- Learning the career mystique : where do values and expectations come from?
- Do young adults still believe in the career mystique?
- If "real" work is paid work, can new parents follow the career mystique?
- Living the career mystique : making it, giving up, or slipping behind?
- Life midcourse : are retirement or second acts inevitable, desirable, or even possible?
- Policies and practices : maintaining the status quo or challenging the career mystique?
- Beyond the career mystique : recasting the lock-step life course.
- Publisher's Summary
- The Career Mystique shows that most Americans-men and women-continue to embrace the myth that hard work, long hours, and continuous employment pay off, even though it is out of date and out of place in twenty-first-century America. Phyllis Moen and Patricia Roehling argue that the lock step arrangements around education, work, family, and retirement no longer fit the realities and risks of contemporary living, yet the roles, rules, and regulations spawned by the career mystique remain in place. This books shows that ambiguities and uncertainties about the future abound in boardrooms, in offices, and on factory floors, as Americans face the realities of corporate restructuring, chronic job insecurity, and double demands at work and at home. Moen and Roehling show the career mystique for what it is: a false myth standing in the way of creating new, alternative workplaces and career flexibilities. Based on research funded by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation and the National Institute on Aging.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780742528628 20160609
- Publication date
- 0742528618 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780742528611 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0742528626 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780742528628 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: