Consciousness : cultural and therapeutic perspectives
- Dagmar Eigner (ed.).
- Frankfurt am Main [Germany] ; New York : Peter Lang, c2012.
- Physical description
- 218 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Consciousness and human systems v. 2.
- Eigner, Dagmar.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Contents: Michael Delmonte: Evolution and Consciousness: From Rocks to Musicians, Philosophers and Psychotherapists - A Long Journey - Juergen Kremer: (Post)Modern Brain - Shaman's Brain: Evolutionary Perspectives on Shamanic Processes and Potentials - Joan H. Hageman/Stanley Krippner: A Survey of Afro-Brazilian Mediums: Gender Differences and Distinguishing Characteristics - Valentina Kharitonova/Yulia Ukraintseva: Destined for Shamanic Inspiration. An Integrative Study of Buryat (Neo)Shamans - Renaud van Quekelberghe: Daily and Oceanic Consciousness: A Dual Modality - Susan Michaelson: The Silver Road. Exploring a Relationship Between the Visual Arts, Shamanism and the Healing Process - Katalin Varga: Communicating with Patients in Altered States of Consciousness - Dagmar Eigner: A Shamanic Dinner: Context-Related Representations of the Self as a Healing Agent.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
In recent years the study of consciousness has gained considerable impulse through interdisciplinary approaches. Modulation and transformation of consciousness have been deployed for tens of thousands of years to obtain knowledge and to enhance well-being and health. In many societies, techniques based on exceptional states of consciousness have been used to maintain ecological equilibrium. The volume deals with historic, social, linguistic, philosophical, psychological, physiological, aesthetic, and creative issues of consciousness research. According to the integrative endeavours of the authors a variety of methods were applied; mostly, not only etic, but also emic perceptions were considered. The work of shamans, artists, and psychotherapists constitutes the main content of this volume, exploring different techniques for the induction of altered states of consciousness.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Consciousness and human systems, 1866-668X ; v. 2
- 9783631620359 (hbk.)
- 3631620357 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: