George Washington's eye : landscape, architecture, and design at Mount Vernon
- Joseph Manca.
- Baltimore, Md. : Johns Hopkins University Press, 2012.
- Physical description
- ix, 297 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.), maps (some col.), plans ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- George Washington : morality and the crafting of self
- The mansion house at Mount Vernon and other architectural designs
- George Washington's portico
- Washington as gardener : creating the landscape
- Mount Vernon and British gardening
- Prospects, pictures, and the picturesque
- Washington as artist, critic, patron, and collector
- Under my vine and fig tree : Biblical and classical perfection at Mount Vernon
- Publisher's Summary
- On the banks of the Potomac River, Mount Vernon stands, with its iconic portico boasting breathtaking views and with a landscape to rival the great gardens of Europe, as a monument to George Washington's artistic and creative efforts. More than one million people visit Mount Vernon each year-drawn to the stature and beauty of Washington's family estate. Art historian Joseph Manca systematically examines Mount Vernon-its stylistic, moral, and historical dimensions-offering a complete picture of this national treasure and the man behind its enduring design. Manca brings to light a Washington deeply influenced by his wide travels in colonial America, with a broader architectural knowledge than previously suspected, and with a philosophy that informed his aesthetic sensibility. Washington believed that design choices and personal character mesh to form an ethic of virtue and fulfillment and that art is inextricably linked with moral and social concerns. Manca examines how these ideas shaped the material culture of Mount Vernon. Based on careful study of Washington's personal diaries and correspondence and on the lively accounts of visitors to his estate, this richly illustrated book introduces a George Washington unfamiliar to many readers-an avid art collector, amateur architect, and leading landscape designer of his time.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781421404325 20160608
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Landscape, architecture, and design at Mount Vernon
- 9781421404325 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 142140432X (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781421405612 (ebk.)
- 142140561X (ebk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: