The criminology theory reader
- edited by Stuart Henry and Werner Einstadter.
- New York : New York University Press, c1998.
- Physical description
- xxv, 611 p. : ill ; 23 cm.
Law Library (Crown)
|HV6025 .C747 1998||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 533-599) and index.
- Introduction: Criminology and criminological theory / Stuart Henry and Werner Einstadter
- Classical and rational choice theory
- Biological and psychological theory
- Ecology theory
- Strain and subcultural theory
- Differential association and social learning theory
- Neutralization and social control theory
- Labeling and social constructionist theory
- New directions : critical theory
- New directions : feminist theory
- New directions : postmodernist and constitutive theory
- New directions : integrated theory.
- Publisher's Summary
- This lively anthology brings together many of the best theoretical essays on crime causation published in the American Society of Criminology's journal Criminology. In The Criminology Theory Reader, Stuart Henry and Werner Einstadter have edited key articles into concise, student-friendly readings without compromising the essays' original integrity. The book captures the essence and diversity of thinking about crime by including representative articles from the major theoretical perspectives: classical and rational choice, biological and psychological, ecology, strain and subcultural, social learning and differential association, neutralization and social control, labeling and social constructionist, and Marxist and critical theory.The Criminology Theory Reader also contains cutting-edge thinking on feminist theory, postmodernist, constitutive, and integrated approaches. The overview essay and helpful section introductions guide students through the core debates. The following respected theorists are among the contributing authors: Beirne, Clarke, Stark, Bursik, Felson, Akers, Laub, Agnew, Simpson, Chambliss, Melossi, Feeley, Friedrichs, Thornberry, Hirschi, Yeager, Bernard, and Rafter.The Criminology Theory Reader is the perfect reference for those interested in the explanations of crime and criminality.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
Contributor biographical information
- Publication date
- 0814735509 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780814735503 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0814735517 (pbk. :alk. paper)
- 9780814735510 (pbk. :alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: