The participatory cultures handbook
- edited by Aaron Delwiche and Jennifer Jacobs Henderson.
- New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- xvi, 289 p. : ill ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Introduction: what is participatory culture? / Aaron Delwiche, Jennifer Jacobs Henderson
- 2. The new left and the computer underground: recovering political antecedents of participatory culture / Aaron Delwiche
- 3. From participation to power / Christopher M. Kelty
- 4. Wikis and participatory fandom / Jason Mittell
- 5. Who's steering the mothership? The role of the fanboy auteur in transmedia storytelling / Suzanne Scott
- 6. The guiding spirit and the powers that be: a response to Suzanne Scott / Henry Jenkins
- 7. A localization shop's tale: bringing an independent Japanese role-playing game to North America / Mia Consalvo
- 8. Collaborative new media poetry: mixed and remixed / Thomas Swiss and Helen Burgess
- 9. Collaborative comics: the story behind Pixton / Clive Goodinson
- 10. The assault on creative culture: politics of cultural ownership / Owen Gallagher
- 11. The creative conversation of collective intelligence / Pierre Lévy ; translation by Phyllis Aronoff and Howard Scott
- 12. Blogging as a free frame of reference / Alexander Halavais
- 13. Crowdsourcing: a model for leveraging online communities / Daren C. Brabham
- 14. How particle physicists constructed the world's largest grid: a case study in participatory cultures / Sarah Pearce and Will Venters
- 15. Restructuring civic engagement: meaningful choice and game design thinking / Benjamin Stokes
- 16. The future of participatory budgeting: political participation and practicable policy / Rolf Luehrs and John Heaven
- 17. Participatory democracy / Dieter Fuchs
- 18. Cultures of participation in social movements / Donatella della Porta and Alice Mattoni
- 19. From cultures of participation to the rise of crisis mapping in a networked world / Sophia B. Liu and Jen Ziemke
- 20. Digital activism in authoritarian countries / David M. Faris and Patrick Meier
- 21. Activism on the ground: Habitat for Humanity / Cynthia Hawkins
- 22. Participative pedagogy for a literacy of literacies / Howard Rheingold
- 23. Leveraging digital media to create a participatory learning culture among incarcerated youth / Barry Joseph and Kelly Czarnecki
- 13. The expanding role for media literacy in the age of participatory cultures / W. James Potter
- 15. Participation and the technological imaginary: interactivity or interpassivity? / Paul A. Taylor
- 26. Participatory culture and media life: approaching freedom / The Janissary Collective: Peter Blank ... [et al.]
- 27. Legal constraints on participatory cultures in the United States: anonymity, concealment, and revelation / Clay Calvert
- 28. Toward an ethical framework for online participatory cultures / Jennifer Jacobs Henderson.
How did we get from Hollywood to YouTube? What makes Wikipedia so different from a traditional encyclopedia? Has blogging dismantled journalism as we know it? Our media landscape has undergone a seismic shift as digital technology has fostered the rise of "participatory culture, " in which knowledge is originated, created, distributed, and evaluated in radically new ways. The Participatory Cultures Handbook is an indispensable, interdisciplinary guide to this rapidly changing terrain. With short, accessible essays from leading geographers, political scientists, communication theorists, game designers, activists, policy makers, physicists, and poets, this volume will introduce students to the concept of participatory culture, explain how researchers approach participatory culture studies, and provide original examples of participatory culture in action. Topics include crowdsourcing, crisis mapping, grid computing, digital activism in authoritarian countries, collaborative poetry, collective intelligence, participatory budgeting, and the relationship between video games and civic engagement. Contributors include: Daren Brabham, Helen Burgess, Clay Calvert, Mia Consalvo, Kelly Czarnecki, David M. Faris, Dieter Fuchs, Owen Gallagher, Clive Goodinson, Alexander Halvais, Cynthia Hawkins, John Heaven, The Jannissary Collective, Henry Jenkins, Barry Joseph, Christopher Kelty, Pierre Levy, Sophia B. Liu, Rolf Luehrs, Patrick Meier, Jason Mittell, Sarah Pearce, W. James Potter, Howard Rheingold, Suzanne Scott, Benjamin Stokes, Thomas Swiss, Paul Taylor, Will Venters, Jen Ziemke.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780415882231 (hbk.)
- 0415882230 (hbk.)
- 9780415506090 (pbk.)
- 0415506093 (pbk.)
- 9780203117927 (ebk.)
- 0203117921 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: