Genocide by attrition : the Nuba mountains of Sudan
- Samuel Totten.
- New Brunswick, N.J. : Transaction Publishers, c2012.
- Physical description
- xix, 137 p. : map ; 24 cm.
- Totten, Samuel.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Historical overview
- Appendix I: The UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide
- Appendix II: Select annotated bibliography of key works on the Nuba Mountains genocide.
- Publisher's Summary
- Few people know much about the government of Sudan's genocidal attack against the people of the Nuba Mountains in the late 1980s and early 1990s. This volume documents this atrocity, focusing on crimes that even human rights activists and genocide scholars do not fully understand. Its detailed examination of the forced starvation of the Nuba Mountains people provides a powerful statement, and will be a resource for professionals who teach the subject. Genocide by Attrition provides a solid sense of antecedents to the genocidal actions in the Nuba Mountains. It introduces the main actors, describes how the Nuba were forced into starvation by their government, and tells how those who managed to survive did so. Totten provides a valuable resource for those who understand genocide as a state crime. The interviews provide in-depth stories and revelatory information about what Totten characterizes as genocide by attrition. Among the themes that link most of the interviews are: the discrimination against and disenfranchisement of the Nuba by the government; the destruction of villages and farms; and the impact of the forced starvation. The book also documents the anger and frustration of the Nuba Mountains people at being left out of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement signed between the South and the North, and their ongoing fear that the government might once again carry out a genocidal assault against them.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412847506 20160609
- Genocide > Sudan > Nuba Mountains Region.
- Genocide survivors > Sudan > Nuba Mountains Region > Interviews.
- Nuba (African people) > Crimes against > Sudan > Nuba Mountains.
- Nuba (African people) > Civil rights > Sudan > Nuba Mountains.
- Sudan > History > Civil War, 1983-2005 > Atrocities.
- Sudan > Ethnic relations.
- Publication date
- 9781412847506 (hbk.)
- 1412847508 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: