A new blueprint for a green economy
- Edward B. Barbier and Anil Markandya.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2012.
- Physical description
- xv, 195 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
Law Library (Crown)
|HD75.6 .B355 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Blueprint for a green economy in the 21st century
- Sustainable development
- Progress in valuing the environment
- Accounting for the environment and sustainability
- Progress in prices and incentives for environmental improvement
- Towards a green global economy
- Publisher's Summary
- Published in 1989, Blueprint for a Green Economy presented, for the first time, practical policy measures for 'greening' modern economies and putting them on a path to sustainable development. This new book, written by two of the Blueprint for a Green Economy authors, revisits and updates its main messages by asking, first, what has been achieved in the past twenty years, and second, what more needs to be done to generate a truly 'green economy' in the twenty-first century? Blueprint for a Green Economy had one over-arching theme. Making economies more sustainable requires urgent progress in three key policy areas: valuing the environment, accounting for the environment and incentives for environmental improvement. Today, with the threat of global warming, the decline in major ecosystems and their services, and fears over energy security, achieving these goals is even more vital. The current book first summarizes the main messages from Blueprint for a Green Economy and explains why, given rapid and widespread global environmental degradation, they are still relevant. The book then examines the progress since Blueprint for a Green Economy in implementing policies and other measures to improve environmental valuation, accounting and incentives. Although much has been accomplished, additional advances are still required to green economies successfully. The book highlights the new policies and approaches needed for economic management of today's environmental concerns. Over twenty years later, A New Blueprint for a Green Economy once again emphasizes practical policies for greening modern economies, and explains why such an economic roadmap to a greener future is essential, if modern economies are to develop successfully and sustainably.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Update to: Blueprint for a green economy / a report by David Pearce, Anil Markandya, Edward B. Barbier for the UK Department of the Environment. 1989.
- Related Work
- Pearce, David W. (David William). Blueprint for a green economy.
- 9781849713498 (hbk.)
- 1849713499 (hbk.)
- 9781849713535 (pbk.)
- 1849713537 (pbk.)
- 9780203097298 (e-book)
- 0203097297 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: