Flies : the natural history & diversity of Diptera
- Stephen A. Marshall.
- Buffalo, N.Y. ; Richmond Hill, Ont. : Firefly Books, 2012.
- Physical description
- 616 p. : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 29 cm.
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QL531 .M37 2012||Unknown|
- Marshall, S. A. (Stephen A.)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 597-603) and index.
- Part 1: Life Histories, Habits and Habitats of Flies. Chapter 1 - Life Histories of Flies. Chapter 2 - Flies, Plants and Fungi. Chapter 3 - Flies and Vertebrates. Chapter 4 - Flies and Invertebrates. Part 2: Diversity. Chapter 5 - Origins and Distribution of the Diptera. Chapter 6 - The Lower Diptera. Chapter 7 - The Lower Brachycera and Empidoidea. Chapter 8 - The Higher Brachycera or Cyclorrhapha. Part 3: Identifying and Studying Flies. Chapter 9 - Collecting, Preserving and Rearing Flies. Chapter 10 - Identifying Fly Families.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781770851009 20160609
- Publisher's Summary
- Meticulously researched and illustrated with more than 2000 colour photographs taken by the author, Flies is a landmark reference book that will be indispensable to any naturalist, biologist or entomologist. Most photographs in this encyclopedic reference were taken in the field and show the insects in their natural environment. All of the world fly families are covered and the book contains species such as the common house fly, the elusive African stalk eyed flies and giant robber flies of North Vietnam, the strikingly beautiful Andean flower flies and giant hedgehog flies, to the deadly tsetse flies and malaria mosquitoes. Flies is broken up into three parts: Life Histories, Habits and Habitats of Flies; Diversity; and Identifying and Studying Flies. The 20 pages of profusely illustrated keys linked to the unprecedented photographic coverage of the world's fly families and subfamilies enable the reader to identify most flies quickly and accurately, and to readily access information about each family as well as hundreds of distinctive genera and species.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781770851009 20160609
- Publication date
Browse related items
Start at call number: