Spirituality in college students' lives : translating research into practice
- edited by Alyssa Bryant Rockenbach and Matthew J. Mayhew.
- New York, NY : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- xiii, 218 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB3609 .S67 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword, Helen Astin and Alexander Astin-- Section One: Introduction and Methodological Overview Chapter 1, Introduction, Matthew J. Mayhew and Alyssa Bryant Rockenbach-- Chapter 2, Methodological Overview of the UCLA Spirituality in Higher Education Project, Jennifer A. Lindholm-- Section Two: Student Characteristics and Group Differences Chapter 3, The Experiences and Spiritual Growth of Religiously Privileged and Religiously Marginalized College Students, Nicholas A. Bowman and Jenny L. Small-- Chapter 4, Race and Pro-Social Involvement: Toward a More Complex Understanding of Spiritual Development in College, Sean Gehrke-- Risky Business: Studying and Supporting Collegians' Spiritual Development, Researcher Reflection, Peter M. Magolda-- Deliberate Campus Practices to Foster Spirituality, Purpose, and Meaning: Recognizing Student Characteristics and Group Differences, Practitioner Reflection, Kathleen M. Goodman-- Section Three: College Contexts Chapter 5, Christian College Persistence in the Postmodern Turn, P. Jesse Rine-- Chapter 6, How Institutional Contexts and College Experiences Shape Ecumenical Worldview Development, Alyssa Bryant Rockenbach and Matthew J. Mayhew-- Religious Pluralism and Higher Education Institutional Contexts: Implications for Research, Researcher Reflection, Peter C. Hill, Keith J. Edwards, and Jonathan P. Hill-- Becoming a Religiously Engaged Global Citizen, Practitioner Reflection, Scotty McLennan-- Section Four: Outcomes Chapter 7, From Faith to Compassion? Reciprocal Influences of Spirituality, Religious Commitment, and Prosocial Development During College, Jay W. Brandenberger and Nicholas A. Bowman-- Chapter 8, Development among Adolescents and Young Adults: Longitudinal linkages between Spirituality, Religion, and Social Justice, David Chenot and Hansung Kim-- Chapter 9, Student-Faculty Interaction and the Development of an Ethic of Care, James J. Fleming, Jennie Purnell, and Yang Wang-- Chapter 10, Informing Effective Psychospiritual Interventions for College Students: Identifying Mediators in the Relationship between Spiritual Struggles and Substance Use, Carol Ann Faigin-- Advances in Understanding Pro-social Development in College: Reflections on Spiritual Outcomes Research, Researcher Reflection, Michael D. Waggoner-- Questions of Spirituality on College Campuses: To Engage or Not to Engage? Practitioner Reflection, Donna Talbot and Diane Anderson-- Epilogue, The Study of Spirituality: Are We There Yet? If So, Where?, C. Carney Strange.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415895064 20160609
- Publisher's Summary
- Spirituality in College Students' Lives draws on data from a large-scale national survey examining the spiritual development of undergraduates and how colleges and universities can be more effective in facilitating students' spiritual growth. In this book, contributors from the fields of education, psychology, sociology, social work, and religion present research-based studies that explore the importance of students' spirituality and the impact of the college experience on their spiritual development. Offering a wide range of theoretical perspectives and worldviews, this volume also includes reflections from distinguished researchers and practitioners which highlight implications for practice. This original edited collection explores: * Emerging theoretical frames and analytical approaches; * differences in spiritual expressions and experiences among sub-populations; * the impact of campus contexts; * and how college experiences shape spiritual outcomes. Spirituality in College Students' Lives is an important resource for higher education and student affairs faculty, administrators, and practitioners interested in nurturing the inner lives of college students.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415895064 20160609
- Publication date
- 9780415895057 (hardback)
- 0415895057 (hardback)
- 9780415895064 (paperback)
- 0415895065 (paperback)
- 9780203118979 (e-book)
- 0203118979 (e-book)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: