Fanatically formative : successful learning during the crucial K-3 years
- Bob Sornson.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- xv, 193 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1511 .S69 2012||Unknown|
- Sornson, Robert.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 179-190) and index.
- Preface Publisher's Acknowledgments About the Author 1. Students at Risk 2. Responsive Instruction Versus Curriculum-Driven Instruction: Why Public Education's Race to Cover More Material and Test More Students Is Failing America's Children 3. Finding Focus 4. Essential Skills and the Whole Child 5. The Challenge of Formative Assessment and Responsive Instruction 6. The Importance of Classroom and School Culture 7. Instructional Support: Responding to Teacher Requests for Help 8. The Importance of Quality Preschool 9. The Importance of Parent Engagement 10. When Good People Work Within Lousy Systems 11. Pathfinders 12. Love of Learning 13. Critical Thinking Followed by Action 14. The Lives of Children in the Balance Appendixes References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- 'This book is a joy to read! Positive and practical are the two best words to describe it. Every early childhood educator would benefit from reading Fanatically Formative.' -Richard L. Allington, Professor of Literacy Studies, University of Tennessee, Knoxville 'I could not put this book down. The captivating message reignited my passion for quality and joyful teaching. The discussion questions at the end of each chapter will serve as springboards for stimulating discourse.' - Kathleen A. Robbins, Principal MacGowan School, Redford, MIT Transform your K-3 classrooms into effective centers of learning! Helping children experience early learning success and acquire essential skills by third grade is a crucial part of any school reform effort. Yet, many teachers and children are overwhelmed by the ineffective curriculum-driven education system and the 'rush to cover' climate in schools. Fanatically Formative shows how you can rediscover the joy of teaching and help children fall in love with learning again. This book traces the journey of a teacher as she works through the challenges of formative assessment and responsive instruction to discover the practices that will help her students succeed. K-3 teachers, principals, and district administrators will learn how to: Set clear, attainable learning outcomesMake teaching responsive to the whole childMonitor student progress toward essential skills Build a truly positive classroom and school culture Collaborate to help young children succeed With surveys, lists of essential skills, study questions for PLC groups, and highlighted summaries of key points. Fanatically Formative offers a clear and powerful vision for your early learning success initiative along with the action steps to achieve your goals.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781452225180 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1452225184 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: