Growing up Muslim : understanding Islamic beliefs and practices
- Sumbul Ali-Karamali.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Delacorte Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- 213 p. ; 22 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
BP161.3 .A385 2012
- Unknown BP161.3 .A385 2012
- Ali-Karamali, Sumbul, 1964-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -207) and index.
- Pt. 1. Muslim beliefs and practices (or, What it's like to grow up Muslim in California). Starting with the basics : what do Muslims eat?
- Definitions and the Declaration of Faith
- How many times a day do you pray?
- Fasting : the ultimate internal conflict
- Holidays : from turkey dinner to baklava
- Donating to charity
- A Muslim pilgrim's progress
- Everyday rules of behavior for Muslims
- Fashion sense (or, What Muslims wear)
- Relationships between men and women (or, Can I go to the school dance?)
- pt. 2. When did Islam start and how did it develop? Muhammad and his mission
- How Muslims view the world : God, angels, and Adam and Eve
- The basis of Islam : the Qur'an, the Sunnah, and the Shariah
- From sand dunes to Spain : the spread of Islam
- pt. 3. Modern Muslim demographics. Who's who : Sunni, Shi'a, Sufi, and more
- Muslims : who we are and where we live.
- A comprehensive introduction to one of the world's major religions and its' everyday context in Muslim life in America.
- Publication date
- 9780385740951 (hbk.)
- 0385740956 (hbk.)
- 9780375989773 (lib. bdg.)
- 0375989773 (lib. bdg.)
- 9780375983405 (ebk.)
- 0375983406 (ebk.)