Bilingual community education and multilingualism : beyond heritage languages in a global city
- edited by Ofelia García, Zeena Zakharia and Bahar Otcu.
- Bristol ; Buffalo : Multilingual Matters, c2013.
- Physical description
- xviii, 343 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Bilingual education and bilingualism ; 89.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC3733 .N5 B53 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 315-334) and index.
- Introduction: Organization, Content and Purpose of the Book: Ofelia Garcia, Zeena Zakharia and Bahar OtcuPART I: CONCEPTUALIZING BILINGUAL COMMUNITY EDUCATION Ofelia Garcia, Zeena Zakharia and Bahar Otcu: Bilingual community education: Beyond heritage language education and bilingual education in New York PART II: COMMUNITIES EDUCATE THEIR OWN BILINGUAL CHILDREN Community Organizations: Dynamic Bilingualism in Community EducationCarmina Makar: Building communities through bilingual education: The Case of Asociacion Tepeyac de New YorkRuhma Choudhury: Raising bilingual and bicultural Bangladeshi-American children in NYC: Perspectives from educators in a Bengali community program Ameena Ghaffar-Kucher and Anup P. Mahajan: Salaam! Namaste!: Indian and Pakistani community-based efforts towards mother-tongue maintenanceSupplementary Bilingual Community Schools: Innovations and Challenges Jeehyae Chung: Hidden efforts, visible challenges: Promoting bilingualism in Korean-AmericaNaomi Kano: Japanese community schools: New pedagogy for a changing populationBahar Otcu: Turkishness in New York: Languages, ideologies, and identities in a community-based schoolMaria Hantzopoulos: Going to Greek school: The Politics of religion, identity and culture in community-based Greek language schoolsInformal Community Education: Alternative Pathways to Bilingualism Busi Makoni: Community-based initiatives and Sub-Saharan African languages in the Big AppleRoozbeh Shirazi and Maryam Borjian: Persian bilingual community education among Iranian-Americans in New York CityBilingual Community Day Schools: Changes and Continuities Zeena Zakharia and Laura Menchaca Bishop: Towards positive peace through bilingual community education: Language efforts of Arabic-speaking communities in New YorkSharon Avni and Kate Menken: Educating for Jewishness: The teaching and learning of Hebrew in day school educationRakhmiel Peltz and Hannah Kliger: Becoming Yiddish speakers in New York: Burgeoning communities of bilingual childrenPART III: COMMUNITY-PUBLIC SCHOOL ALLIANCES FOR BILINGUALISM Laura Ascenzi-Moreno and Nelson Flores: A case study of bilingual policy and practices at the Cypress Hills Community SchoolJane F. Ross and Fabrice Jaumont: Building bilingual communities: New York's French bilingual revolutionIsabelle Barriere and Marie-Michelle Monereau-Merry: Trilingualism of the Haitian diaspora in NYC: Current and future challengesTatyana Kleyn and Beth Vayshenker: Russian bilingual education across public, private and community spheresWen-Tsui Pat Lo: Mandarin-English bilingual education in New York City: A case study of supplementary education in the Chinese communityPART IV: BILINGUAL RESOURCES FOR A GLOBAL FUTURE: RECOMMENDATIONSMaureen T. Matarese: Beyond community: Networks of bilingual community support for languages other than English in NYCOfelia Garcia: American multilingualism for a global future: Recommendations for parents, educators and policy-makers.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book explores bilingual community education, specifically the educational spaces shaped and organized by American ethnolinguistic communities for their children in the multilingual city of New York. Employing a rich variety of case studies which highlight the importance of the ethnolinguistic community in bilingual education, this collection examines the various structures that these communities use to educate their children as bilingual Americans. In doing so, it highlights the efforts and activism of these communities and what bilingual community education really means in today's globalized world. The volume offers new understandings of heritage language education, bilingual education, and speech communities for bilingual Americans in the 21st century.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Bilingual education and bilingualism ; 89
- 9781847698001 (alk. paper)
- 184769800X (alk. paper)
- 9781847697998 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1847697992 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781847698018 (ebook)
- 1847698018 (ebook)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: