Technology and critical literacy in early childhood
- Vivian Maria Vasquez and Carol Branigan Felderman.
- New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- xvii, 110 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1139.5 .L35 V38 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 101-104) and index.
- Chapter One: Setting a Context for Exploring Critical Literacies Using Technology Chapter Two: Teaching and Learning with VoiceThread Chapter Three: Yes We Can! : Using Technology as a Tool for Social Action Chapter Four: Our Families Don't Understand English! Chapter Five: What about Antarctica? Chapter Six: The Tomato Trials Chapter Seven: Picture This: Using Photography as a Tool for Critical Literacy Chapter Eight: Desires, Identities and New Communication Technologies.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415539517 20160610
- Publisher's Summary
- What do new technologies and new forms of communication mean for young children growing up in the 21st century? How are they shaping the mindsets, identities and practices which impact their lives at home and at school? This book explores the intersection of technology and critical literacy, specifically addressing what ICTs afford critical literacy work with young children between ages three to eight. Inviting readers to enter classrooms where both technology and critical literacies are woven into childhood curricula and teaching, it brings together literacy, social studies, and science in critical and integrated ways. Real-world stories show the sights and sounds of children engaged with technology in the classroom and beyond. Concise but comprehensive, the text provides strategies, theoretical frameworks, demonstrations of practice, and resources for teachers. Pedagogical features in each chapter engage readers in making connections to their own teaching situations. NCATE standards for including technology as an essential part of teacher education programs are addressed. While acknowledging how individual children employ ICT, the focus is on how new technologies can be positioned in early childhood learning communities as tools for engaging in more meaningful, authentic, and interesting learning.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415539517 20160610
- Publication date
- 9780415539500 (hbk.)
- 0415539501 (hbk.)
- 9780415539517 (pbk.)
- 041553951X (pbk.)
- 9780203108185 (ebk.)
- 0203108183 (ebk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: