Introduction to bioMEMS
- Albert Folch.
- Boca Raton : CRC Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- xxxv, 492 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 27 cm.
Biology Library (Falconer)
|TP248.25 .N35 F65 2013||Unknown|
- Folch i Folch, Albert, 1966-
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- How Do We Make Small Things? Why Bother Making Things Small? From Art to Chips Photolithography Micromachining Micromolding Soft Lithography Hydrogel Devices Nanofabrication Techniques Fabrication Based on Self-Assembly: A "Bottom-Up" Approach Micropatterning of Substrates and Cells Interaction between Surfaces and Biomolecules Surface Engineering Micropatterns of SAMs Micropatterns of Proteins Micropatterns of Cells on Nonbiomolecular Templates Micropatterns of Cells on Biomolecular Templates Microfluidics Why Go Small? Microscale Behavior of Fluids Fluids in Electrical Fields Fluids in Acoustic Fields Fabrication of Microfluidic Channels Operation of Microfluidic Channels: Practical Concerns Droplet Microfluidics Active Flow Control Micromixers Combinatorial Mixers Molecular Biology on a Chip The Importance of Miniaturizing Molecular Biology The Importance of Point-of-Care Diagnostics: Where is Cost Really, Really, Really Important? Sample Preparation: A Bloody Example The Problem with Microfluidic Sample Separation Microfluidic Immunoassays Chips for Genomics and Proteomics Electrospray Mass Spectrometry Biochemical Analysis Using Force Sensors Cell-Based Chips for Biotechnology Microfluidic Flow Cytometers Cell Sorting Cell Trapping Microfluidic Cell Culture Laboratories Gene Expression Cellular Microarrays ("Cellomics") Micro-Bioreactors Cells on Microelectrodes Patch Clamp Chips Cryopreservation Assisted Reproductive Technologies Whole Animal Testing BioMEMS for Cell Biology An Enabling Technology: The Hurdles Cell-Substrate Signaling Cell-Cell Communication Cell Migration BioMEMS for Cellular Neurobiology Developmental Biology on a Chip Yeast Biology Plant Cell Biology Microfluidics for Studying Cellular Dynamics Tissue Microengineering Microscaffolding Micropatterned Cocultures Stem Cell Engineering Morphogenesis Implantable Microdevices Dental Implants Implantable Microelectrodes Delivery of Soluble Signals into the Body Microtools for Surgery Insect Research Appendix Index A Summary and Further Reading appear at the end of each chapter.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781439818398 20160608
- Publisher's Summary
- The entire scope of the BioMEMS field-at your fingertips Helping to educate the new generation of engineers and biologists, Introduction to BioMEMS explains how certain problems in biology and medicine benefit from and often require the miniaturization of devices. The book covers the whole breadth of this dynamic field, including classical microfabrication, microfluidics, tissue engineering, cell-based and noncell-based devices, and implantable systems. It focuses on high-impact, creative work encompassing all the scales of life-from biomolecules to cells, tissues, and organisms. Brilliant color presentation Avoiding the overwhelming details found in many engineering and physics texts, this groundbreaking book-in color throughout-includes only the most essential formulas as well as many noncalculation-based exercises. Important terms are highlighted in bold and defined in a glossary. The text contains more than 400 color figures, most of which are from the original researchers. Coverage of both historical perspectives and the latest developments Developed from the author's long-running course, this classroom-tested text gives readers a vivid picture of how the field has grown by presenting historical perspectives and a timeline of seminal discoveries. It also describes numerous state-of-the-art biomedical applications that benefit from "going small, " including devices that record the electrical activity of brain cells, measure the diffusion of molecules in microfluidic channels, and allow for high-throughput studies of gene expression.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781439818398 20160608
- Publication date
- 9781439818398 (hardback)
- 1439818398 (hardback)
- 9781439818404 (ebook)
- 1439818401 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: