Mission possible : how the secrets of success academies can work in any school
- Eva Moskowitz, Arin Lavinia.
- 1st ed.
- San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, c2012.
- Physical description
- viii, 166 p. ; 24 cm. + 1 DVD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)
Education Library (Cubberley)
Library has: 1 v. + 1 DVD-
|LB2822.83 .N7 M67 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- List of Video Clips vii Introduction 1 1 WHY? What's Wrong with American Schools? 7 2 HOW? Making School a Magical Place 19 3 WHO? It's All About the Adults 37 4 FAST: Putting Adults and Children on the Fast Track 61 5 RIGOR: Raising the Bar for Everybody 77 6 READING: The Starting Point for All Else 95 7 WRITING: Putting Ideas into the World with Elegance 123 8 CALL TO ACTION: How to Make Every School a Success Academy 143 Endnotes 149 Acknowledgments 155 About the Authors 157 Index 159.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Strategies for making the schools we need that work for all kids Eva Moskowitz (the founder and CEO of the Success Charter Network in Harlem) and Arin Lavinia offer practical, classroom-tested ideas for dramatically improving teaching and learning. Moskowitz and Lavinia reveal how a charter school in the middle of Harlem, enrolling neighborhood children selected at random, emerged as one of the top schools in New York City and State within three years. The results of the Harlem school were on a par with public schools for gifted students and elite private schools. Describes what can be accomplished when students and adults all work to focus on constant learning and performance improvement; DVD clips are embedded for illustration The Success Academies have been featured in two popular and widely distributed documentaries, Waiting for Superman and The Lottery Details the Success Academies' THINK Literacy curriculum, which produces dramatic results instudent's reading and writing skills In addition to providing strategies and lessons for school leaders and teachers, Secrets of the Success Academies also serves as a guide for parents, policymakers, and practitioners who are passionate about closing the academic achievement gap.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781118167281 (pbk.)
- 1118167287 (pbk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: