Community colleges in the evolving STEM education landscape : summary of a summit
- Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- x, 145 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Q183.3 .A1 C653 2012
- Unknown Q183.3 .A1 C653 2012
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Publisher's Summary
- The National Research Council (NRC) and National Academy of Engineering (NAE) have released a new report, Community Colleges in the Evolving STEM Education Landscape: Summary of a Summit. Based on a national summit that was supported by the National Science Foundation and organized by the NRC and the NAE, the report highlights the importance of community colleges, especially in emerging areas of STEM (Sciene, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) and preparation of the STEM workforce. Community colleges are also essential in accommodating growing numbers of students and in retraining displaced workers in skills needed in the new economy. Community Colleges in the Evolving STEM Education Landscape: Summary of a Summit looks at the changing and evolving relationships between community colleges and four-year institutions, with a focus on partnerships and articulation processes that can facilitate student success in STEM; expanding participation of students from historically underrepresented populations in undergraduate STEM education; and how subjects, such as mathematics, can serve as gateways or barriers to college completion.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Steve Olson and Jay B. Labov, rapporteurs ; Planning Committee on Evolving Relationships and Dynamics Between Two- and Four-Year Colleges and Universities ... [et al.].
- 9780309256544 (pbk.)
- 0309256542 (pbk.)