Mere equals : the paradox of educated women in the early American republic
- Lucia McMahon.
- Ithaca, N.Y. : Cornell University Press, 2012.
- Physical description
- xvii, 228 p. : ill ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC1752 .M35 2012||Unknown|
- McMahon, Lucia.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction : between Cupid and Minerva
- "More like a pleasure than a study" : women's educational experiences
- "Various subjects that passed between two young ladies of America" : reconstructing female friendship
- "The social family circle" : family matters
- "The union of reason and love" : courtship ideals and practices
- "The sweet tranquility of domestic endearment" : companionate marriage
- "So material a change" : revisiting republican motherhood
- Conclusion : education, equality, or difference.
- Publication date
- 9780801450525 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0801450527 (hbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: