America's blind spot : Chávez, oil, and US security
- Andrés Cala and Michael Economides.
- New York : Continuum, c2012.
- Physical description
- xxxiii, 203 p. : ill., map ; 23 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface Part One: America's failed relations south of the border Chapter 1: National security: the idealist curse Chapter 2: The Bolivarian caudillo and failed US policy Chapter 3: Gauging Ch vez as a threat Part Two : The century of oil, again Chapter 4: America and energy: an "addiction" hard to kick Chapter 5: America and oil imports: until death do us part Chapter 6: Global oil supplies and American security Chapter 7: Latin America: the new frontierPart Three: A new approachChapter 8: Colombian lessons for Obama Chapter 9: The way forward.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781441186690 20160609
- Publisher's Summary
- High oil prices are bound to undermine the U.S. economic recovery, unless global supplies increase significantly. Latin America holds the world's biggest oil reserves after the Middle East, but politics are hindering its potential, especially in Venezuela. Global U.S. security would benefit from a revamping of outdated and misguided idealism-driven policies toward Latin America, which, in fact, strengthen anti-American forces led by President Hugo Ch vez. This is a blind spot in American politics, one that threatens U.S. geopolitical and economic interests. At stake, ultimately, is the U.S.'s ability to navigate a shifting world and protect its way of life. Washington needs a new regional policy not only to neutralize Ch vez, but also to secure long term access to Latin America's oil, improve global security, and counter the rising influence of regional players. America's Blind Spot offers a fascinating and thorough analysis of key geopolitical and economic threats to the U.S., highlighting the need for a new Latin American policy doctrine based on military and strategic priorities.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781441186690 20160609
- National security > United States.
- Petroleum industry and trade > United States.
- United States > Foreign economic relations > Venezuela.
- Venezuela > Foreign economic relations > United States.
- United States > Foreign economic relations > Latin America.
- Latin America > Foreign economic relations > United States.
- Publication date
- 9781441186690 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 1441186697 (hbk. : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: