Building blocks for sustainable transport : obstacles, trends, solutions
- edited by Adriaan Perrels, Veli Himanen, Martin Lee-Gosselin.
- 1st ed.
- Bingley, UK : Emerald Group Pub., 2008.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (x, 278 pages) : illustrations, map
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Introduction. How to Cast the Future?. Looking Over the Horizon: Visioning and Backcasting. Lessons from Prospective Research on Sustainable Transport Carried Out through the OECD EST and French PREDIT Programs. Drivers of Freight Transport Demand and their Policy Implications. Space-Economy Interactions in the Context of Sustainability. The Metropolitan Field: An Emerging Form that may Condition the Sustainability of Transport. Sustainable Mobility and Urbanity. Movement of Goods, Services and People: Entanglements with Sustainability Implications. Effectiveness and Acceptability: The Keys to Implementation. Sustainable Transport and Quality of Life. Transport Policies: Actions, Intentions and Perceived Effectiveness. Policy Analysis of Sustainable Transport and Mobility: The SUMMA Project. Prelims.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
This book argues that the issues surrounding sustainable transport constitute a new - post-modern - phase in transport policy and management. Achieving sustainable transport requires more than 'optimal' management of congestion and the effects on public health and the environment. Assessments of external effects, and their optimal levels, tend to be piecemeal, localized, and focused on a specific type of effect. Sustainability, on the other hand, is a comprehensive, forward-looking concept that encompasses the achievement of a state of society that is better overall; it requires a widened concept of welfare that includes environmental quality and social justice in both the short and long term. This book is organized into three sections, each discussing a major set of challenges to the transition to a sustainable transport system.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780857245168 (electronic bk.)
- 0857245163 (electronic bk.)
- 9781613449370 (electronic bk.)
- 1613449372 (electronic bk.)