Islam and sustainable development : new worldviews
- Odeh Rashed Al-Jayyousi.
- Farnham, Surrey ; Burlington, VT : Gower Pub., c2012.
- Physical description
- 202 p. : ill ; 26 cm.
- Transformation and innovation series.
- Al-Jayyousi, Odeh Rashed.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Contents: Foreword, His Royal Highness El Hassan Bin Talal of Jordan-- Introduction: reflections and personal journey: in search of insight-- Sustainable development revisited-- A framework for sustainable development: Islamic worldviews-- Good governance and justice (adl)-- Beauty (ihsan) and sustainable development-- Social capital in Islam (arham)-- Pollution, corruption (fasad) and climate change: Islamic perspectives-- Education for sustainable development-- Epilogue-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781409429029 20160608
- Publisher's Summary
- In Islam and Sustainable Development, Odeh Al-Jayyousi addresses the social, human and economic dimensions of sustainability from an Islamic perspective. Islam is sometimes viewed as a challenge, threat and risk to the West, but here we are reminded that the celebration of cultural diversity is a key component in Islamic values. Promoting common understanding between East and West, this American-educated, Middle Eastern-based author offers something broader and deeper than conventional Western ways of thinking about sustainability and presents new insights inspired by Islamic worldviews. Drawing on his roles as both academic researcher and senior development practitioner, Professor Al-Jayyousi applies his deep understanding of Islamic values to contemporary environmental, financial and social conflicts and crises and defines a framework for sustainability embracing local, regional and global perspectives. He also addresses how education might produce innovation, knowledge creation and development to support a new paradigm for sustainability that re-defines what constitutes good life, beyond consumerism and the production of waste.This book will interest policy makers, development and donor communities, funding agencies and banks in the Islamic World and beyond, as well as those with a professional interest in planning and in environmental and conservation issues. Scholars of Islamic and Middle Eastern studies and more broadly, those with an academic interest in cultural and religious studies, will find that this book in Gower's Transformation and Innovation Series is perhaps the most substantial work yet on sustainable development from an Islamic perspective.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781409429029 20160608
- Publication date
- Transformation and innovation
- 9781409429012 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 1409429016 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9781409429029 (ebook)
- 1409429024 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: